Re: What is your Keg pefference and WHY? Sound off!

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:24 am

My first two Conries were supposed to have been ball lock, guy who sold em to me either didn't realize they were pins or didn't think I would notice? Either scenario is hard to believe, but in actuality it worked out for me. I got a great price on em, probably because they were pins, and, being very near blind, I don't risk confusing the posts.
They are fatter and shorter and I did replace the lids for those with a manual vent, but now I just use a little plastic adapter thingy.
I do need a few more, anyone have a preffered source?
Beer, what all good things are built upon!
Primary:
Lagering:
On tap: Wharfside Porter
On tap: Braw Jock
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:19 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: What is your Keg pefference and WHY? Sound off!

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:49 pm

I use Sankey's for everthing now and will never look back. There is only one connector (provided you stay with US Sankey kegs) so that you don't have to stock ball and pin gas and liquid connectors (and there is more than one style of ball lock ), the parts are available at any bar supply store, they drop into anyone's kegerator (that hasn't been modified for soda kegs). If you can come up with a hefty enough pump cleaning is easy and they now come in the slim style 7-3/4 gal and 6 gal ponies which have about the same amount of stainless in them as Cornies and consequently cost about the same.
ajdelange
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:18 am

Re: What is your Keg pefference and WHY? Sound off!

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm

ajdelange wrote:I use Sankey's for everthing now and will never look back. There is only one connector (provided you stay with US Sankey kegs) so that you don't have to stock ball and pin gas and liquid connectors (and there is more than one style of ball lock ), the parts are available at any bar supply store, they drop into anyone's kegerator (that hasn't been modified for soda kegs). If you can come up with a hefty enough pump cleaning is easy and they now come in the slim style 7-3/4 gal and 6 gal ponies which have about the same amount of stainless in them as Cornies and consequently cost about the same.


I'm with aj. Less o-rings to deal with, check valves built into couplers, larger dip tube and no tiny poppets to get clogged by hops. slim 1/4 bbls are awesome
Bokonon
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:01 am
Location: Richland, WA

Re: What is your Keg pefference and WHY? Sound off!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Another big thing to consider is what other folks in your community are using. Our club participates in a lot of brewfests and other events. Having everyone using the same type of keg makes hooking up the club tap boxes much easier. We do have swivel connectors on all the tap lines so that we can switch out the fittings quickly if we need to.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
User avatar
Bugeater
 
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: River City

Re: What is your Keg pefference and WHY? Sound off!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:38 pm

That's a good point. Our club owns two jockey boxes that are used during club events, but are also available for members to use for personal events. I believe they are both ball lock.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:09 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What is your Keg pefference and WHY? Sound off!

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:48 am

I talked to a guy at morebeer.com and he said that soda is going to stop coming in kegs! Pretty soon we will be the only one's buying them. Get ready for a price hike :roll: . Might go commercial as I already have a kegerator. Wonder just how rotten the cleaning will be on this :? The plastic kegs cant be that much. Just found a steel Sankey Sierra Nevada 13.5 for $40 :shock: I getting it whether I Keg in it or not.
Jan Wolfhouse: So yeah, I heard you got fired from the brewery?
Landfill: God damn brewery! You know that brewery makes 10,000 bottles of beer a day. I drink 45 of them, and I'm the asshole!
User avatar
brewjedi
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: Palmdale, CA

Re: What is your Keg pefference and WHY? Sound off!

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:12 am

brewjedi wrote:I talked to a guy at morebeer.com and he said that soda is going to stop coming in kegs! .


I think it already has. Everything I've seen lately looks more like boxed wine, a bladder filled with syrup in a cardboard box. Not quite clear on how hte carbonated water side of things work in those soda machines though...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:09 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What is your Keg pefference and WHY? Sound off!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
brewjedi wrote:I talked to a guy at morebeer.com and he said that soda is going to stop coming in kegs! .


I think it already has. Everything I've seen lately looks more like boxed wine, a bladder filled with syrup in a cardboard box. Not quite clear on how hte carbonated water side of things work in those soda machines though...


I believe they've switched over quite some time ago, but that may not be true in all parts of the country/world. The carbonated water in those machines comes from the house water line, a CO2 tank & remote unit that keeps the mix right. In most restaurants you'll see them pretty near the rack where the boxes of syrup are stored along with the pump that pushes everything to the dispensing heads.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
User avatar
Ozwald
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3658
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Gallatin Gateway, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.