End of fermentation kegging question

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I seem to remember a someone talking about putting a beer the was near the end of fermentation in a keg to trap the CO2 to carb the beer some what. Can anyone recall which show that was from and the process to do it. I have an american wheat that I brewed this past Saturday and I expect that it will wind down by the end of the week and I wanted to try this process. Comments and rude gestures are always appreciated.
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Re: End of fermentation kegging question

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:21 pm

I feel like this was brought up during a Dan Gordon show... Try Dan 3 from 4/18/08. Sorry I don't have an exact timestamp for you...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:55 pm

it is what a lot of commercial breweries do....but they also have a real good idea at what the beer will finish at...so they know when to close it off....if it is a beer you have not done or are not real confident in where the beer will finish...it will be tough to decide when to cap it off..
Stinkfist

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:46 am

Plus pulling it off the yeast cake too early can result not only in underattenuation but fermentation byproducts might not be able to be fully cleaned up after (diacetyl, acetaldehyde, etc) as well. Just something to keep in mind. Now if you are using yeast strains that do not flocculate and drop out of suspension well then you might be okay (ie witbier strains, hefe strains, etc).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing