Re: Who owns these pix of a cooler with a hole cut in the li

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 pm

I use mine to keep fermentations cool:

Been drinking some and I realized that my response was not all that appropriate.

Enjoy the pics though...
http://www.sceneembargo.com/Media/Music ... dy_Blades/
Greatest Band Ever! Download MP3s at site above.
passlaku

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Does anyone have 'instructions' on how to construct this?

Thanks,

Sean.
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:36 pm

beerdrinker wrote:Does anyone have 'instructions' on how to construct this?

Take one Igloo 70qt. MaxCold Roller cooler.
Place 5-gallon corny keg on lid.
Trace diameter of keg on lid.
Cut out traced circle with jigsaw.
Clean up/enlarge hole with file.
Enjoy your new keg cooler.

That being said, I have found that opening the lid (with corny in place) to fill the cooler with ice is inconvenient because the keg keeps the lid from opening more than a few inches (which is the reason I started this thread.) It is clear that for maximum ice filling ease and convenience, the lid must come off with the keg still in place. One could simple cut off the plastic hinge pins that the lid rides on, but then the lid needs to be secured somehow, so that once the cooler is filled with ice and the lid back in place, it won't flip open or ride up while the cooler is being moved. One could simply use bungee cords or rope or even some sort of latches on either side of the cooler/lid to keep the two pieces together. But to me, that would sort of cheapen the whole thing and reduce it's coolness factor, something I personally want to avoid.

I think what I am going to do is drill out the hinge pins and the hinge bracket so the there is a hole running from one side of the hinge to the the other. Then I will run a stainless quick-release pin like this

through the hole or two (one from either side, if I can't find a single one long enough) to replace the hinge pins. This will allow me to easily remove the lid for ice filling and keep the lid secure once filled without any unsightly cord or devices mounted to the outside of the cooler.

Although honestly- I suspect the lid will fit securely enough without any hinge mechanism at all to stay in place throughout normal usage.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 am

Thank for the info BeerPal.
mtyquinn

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:44 am

BeerPal wrote:Although honestly- I suspect the lid will fit securely enough without any hinge mechanism at all to stay in place throughout normal usage.

This is what I thought when I saw the first pic, and tried imagining tipping the lid over the keg. Most coolers give a little resistance when opening, if they're worth a damn at keeping things cold anyway. Nice list BP.

I'm still pondering using a similar setup for a 3 gallon with a faucet, and this cooler might do the trick with no keg top showing. Then it's deciding if I should strap a CO2 basket to the outside, or go with a 20/24oz CO2 tank on the inside for a completely enclosed party cube w/o wondering if I trust the push capacity of a 16g CO2 setup.
________

Brew for the future.
Drink in the moment.
BierTodd

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:56 am

Truth wrote:I'm still pondering using a similar setup for a 3 gallon with a faucet, and this cooler might do the trick with no keg top showing. Then it's deciding if I should strap a CO2 basket to the outside, or go with a 20/24oz CO2 tank on the inside for a completely enclosed party cube w/o wondering if I trust the push capacity of a 16g CO2 setup.

When I first saw these pix and up until I actually started hunting for the cooler, I assumed the keg pictured was a 3-gallon corny. It wasn't until I actually found the cooler and stuck a tape measure inside that I realised that a 5-gallon keg would fit. And for me, that's a bonus. I'd rather not rack to a 3-gallon if I can avoid it (although there are times when you don't want to offer up an entire keg worth of your precious beer to the thirsty masses.)
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:19 am

BeerPal wrote: (although there are times when you don't want to offer up an entire keg worth of your precious beer to the thirsty masses.)

^This ;)
I've got several 3 gallon kegs, or I wouldn't consider it.

Now in a 5 gallon keg situation, I think a 20/24oz CO2 bottle would fit nicely inside one of the cup holders on the lid (3.3" diameter on the bottles). With a regulator (Williams has them), that'd be an expensive upgrade, but would push a lot more beer and the tanks are refillable (16g disposables aren't helping there). That'd be sexy.
________

Brew for the future.
Drink in the moment.
BierTodd

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:37 am

Truth wrote:I've got several 3 gallon kegs, or I wouldn't consider it.

If I were looking at a cooler strictly for a 3-gallon keg, I might consider this:

Truth wrote:Now in a 5 gallon keg situation, I think a 20/24oz CO2 bottle would fit nicely inside one of the cup holders on the lid (3.3" diameter on the bottles). With a regulator (Williams has them), that'd be an expensive upgrade, but would push a lot more beer and the tanks are refillable (16g disposables aren't helping there). That'd be sexy.

I use the mini-reg and 68 gram CO2 cartridges.

"Make beer not war"

BeerPal

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing