Re: Keg cooler build (Was "Cooler with a hole cut in the lid

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Both good points gents. Either way, I think I'm going to default to the 5 gallon setup and see how it rolls, the 3 gallon kegs will work (I'm thinking hang a bungie cord from the ceiling above the cooler, from a screw in hook that I can take anywhere, then adjust the tension until the keg is at the proper serving height.) :idea:
I've got a local restaurant selling me as many 5 gallon corny's as I want for smoking price, and I just found the Igloo for $44 via my BNA Amazon link shopping, so I'm bout to pull the trigger. My jigsaw has been sitting in the shed for too long.
Thanks for the measurement BP.
________

Brew for the future.
Drink in the moment.
BierTodd

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:42 am

Stinkfist wrote:I would just save the piece I cut out and duct tape in there if I needed it for carrying a 3 gallon keg....and take it out when carrying a 5 gallon keg, a little ghetto with the 3 gallon keg but makes it dual purpose...for no extra money (except duct tape..lol)

Might be able to tape it on from the underside... slightly less ghetto.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Needs to be put on the "beer gadget" section of the home page.
pepperford

Re: Who owns these pix of a cooler with a hole cut in the li

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 pm

UPDATE: Committed to 9" hole. Used a 3/8: drill for some guide holes around the circle. Totally unnecessary after pulling out the Dremel to cut the circle. Finished gap with duck tape. [sic]. Pics tomorrow after sunup.

Building mine out now. Target has them online for $38.29. http://tgt.biz/1aislpo

Can anyone confirm the diameter of a corney keg? Nine inches (9¨) is it?

That seems like it will fit just between the cup holders with a nice bit of room.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Moe
Sierra Pale Ale in the keg for friend's 40th birthday.

BeerPal wrote:BTW- you want the Igloo 70qt. MaxCold roller. It's hard to find on the shelf, but it's the only cooler with the right dimensions, AFAIK. I finally found one (literally looked for 4 hours and probably 7 different places) and paid $50 for it at a Big 5 sporting goods store.

http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+ICECUBE+70+MCROL
moejurray

Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Well, resurrecting this almost a year later... I came across this thread while looking for ideas to keep my corny keg cold while camping. Completed "R2-B2" this weekend. My buddy uses a Rubbermaid bin, and the ice is melted after a day or so... I'm hoping the maintains for far langer.

Thanks to Beerpal for the inspiration:

I'll report back on how it performs...

-sc
scaesare

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:00 am

Great Success!

The unit kept the beer plenty cold for a 3-day weekend with temps up in to the 80s... started out with it about 3/4 full of ice, and it was about half gone at the end of the trip.

My only issue was the line for my faucet would get warm, and I'd get a bit of foam... I might shorten that to 6" or so for the next outing...
scaesare

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:41 pm

scaesare wrote:Great Success!

The unit kept the beer plenty cold for a 3-day weekend with temps up in to the 80s... started out with it about 3/4 full of ice, and it was about half gone at the end of the trip.

My only issue was the line for my faucet would get warm, and I'd get a bit of foam... I might shorten that to 6" or so for the next outing...

With a shorter line, you're going to have worse foaming issues, warm cobra or not.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing