Honey for Priming Sugar?

Sun May 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Just listened to the Trinity Brewing archive from a few months back and Jason Y. mentions that he uses honey to bottle carb his beers. If I remember 1ml of honey per 750ml bomber of beer. Has anyone tried this? I've got an American Wheat in mind that this might be just right if it puts a little honey flavor to it. Just curious if anyone had tried it.

Best wishes,

Brad
Next Brew: Spiced Winter Ale & Blonde Ale
Fermenting: Brown Ale & Mead
Conditioning: SMASH Ale (Pilsner/Simcoe)
Drinking: Saison & IIPA
http://bradsbrewing.freetzi.com/
Proud Twittergame Winner 13May2012!
Proud DOTW Winner 13 May 2013!
bburen

Re: Honey for Priming Sugar?

Sun May 13, 2012 7:57 pm

I know there is a book (How to Brew?) that has a table with the sugar equivalents for a bunch of alternate priming sugars compared to straight corn sugar. The difference is in that something like honey has a greater water content than dextrose, so you would need to add more to get the same level of carbonation. I doubt the small amount of honey will really give you all that much honey character in the finished beer, but on the plus side, any honey aromatic components won't get driven off in a sealed vessel. I don't have HtB handy, perhaps someone else can check that reference, but in the online version, Palmer says this about honey.
"Honey is difficult to prime with because there is no standard for concentration. The gravity of honey is different jar to jar. To use honey, you will need to dilute it and measure its gravity with a hydrometer. For all sugars in general, you want to add 2-3 gravity points per gallon of beer to prime."

So you can figure it out, just might take a bit.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 am

If you want that honey flavor, try working some honey malt into your beer. It works.
mtyquinn

Tue May 15, 2012 7:04 pm

Thank you for the advice.
Next Brew: Spiced Winter Ale & Blonde Ale
Fermenting: Brown Ale & Mead
Conditioning: SMASH Ale (Pilsner/Simcoe)
Drinking: Saison & IIPA
http://bradsbrewing.freetzi.com/
Proud Twittergame Winner 13May2012!
Proud DOTW Winner 13 May 2013!
bburen

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing