Check Valves

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:30 am

I'm setting up a kegging system, and I'm wondering if there is any advantage to either inline check valves or ones that attach directly to the regulator. Are there any reasons why one would choose one over the other?

I was looking for them online, and MoreBeer has both, but I found the ones that connect directly to the regulator at KegWorks for about half the cost, so I'm thinking of getting them, but I wanted to see if there is any reason to get one over the other first.

Thanks!
Corporal in the BN Army

On Tap: Carpet Shark Amber, Black Silk Stout, Raison D'Saison, Black Silk Stout (adjusted water)
MattK

Re: Check Valves

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 am

The only advantage I see would be cleaning. If you are using inline valves, you will have twice the number of hoses to clean (also twice the number of connections to leak).

I have the manifold with check valves and shut off valves from northern brewer. The check valve is combined with the shut off valves on these. All of the fitting use flare connectors. it's pretty easy to disassemble everything to clean the hoses when beer get sucked up into the lines.
Quin

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 am

with check valves on my manifolds, i have never had beeer becone visible in the line.

+1000 on fewest potential leaks.
mordantly

Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:12 am

Thanks for the replies. This ended up not being an issue because the dual gauge regulator I got from Midwest came pre-installed with two check valves.
Corporal in the BN Army

On Tap: Carpet Shark Amber, Black Silk Stout, Raison D'Saison, Black Silk Stout (adjusted water)
MattK

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing