Re: Dry hopping in the keg..

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:10 am

I just dry hopped a Pliny clone in the keg a few minutes ago. Dumped an ounce of warrior hop pellets into a knee high nylon (a new, clean one, you perverts. 8) ) and suspended it in the keg with a piece of dental floss to keep the hops in the top third of the keg. This way I don't have to take the hops out. Once I drink the first third of the keg, dry hopping automatically stops. The floss does not affect the seal on the keg lid at all. These nylons only cost 16 cents each, so they are disposable when I'm done.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Re: Dry hopping in the keg..

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:47 pm

brewinhard wrote:So the surescreen does not clog when using pellet hops directly in the keg? The beer will still be able to flow out the keg through the surescreen and beer out dip tube?

I dry hop regularly in the keg with a sure screen, though mainly with whole flowers. I have had pellets clog the dip tube before, though most frequently when I used an off-brand sure screen (it is more a ss cylinder with many wholes cut in it as opposed to a screen). It seems like the pellets can clog parts of the surescreen, but do not often clog the whole device. After cutting the dip tubes in my kegs I have not had any problems. I believe this is partly from pulling from above much of the hop debris and also from having more screen available (such that the whole screen does not clog).
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing