Re: can't get one of my kegs to not leak when CO2 is attached to

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:28 am

I've found that I can buy new posts and new poppets for these kegs from the CHI Company so I'll be placing yet another order with them on Friday I guess. Between this issue and the problems I've had with a trio of regulators I've been trying to get into working order, I've spent a boatload of $ with them recently.
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:31 am

San_Diego_Matt wrote:I only broke down this keg when I cleaned it so there isnt a chance poppets were swapped between different brands of kegs, but that doesn't mean it has the correct poppet in there.

Maybe I'll swap the poppets between the 2 posts and see if that helps at all. If not I'll just pump it into a different keg and carb.

If it is indeed the poppet, as we suspect - then if you swap these, you're likely to have a cooler full of beer and an empty keg. I recommend leaving the beer disconnect alone, and fixing the gas side.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:12 am

San_Diego_Matt wrote:the beer is not carbonated. I just put a few seconds of pressure on it to seal it up before chilling.

OK, I am going to ask the obvious question since I think you are new to kegging....

Are you sure it is "leaking" and not just pushing gas into the keg? If the keg is not at the same pressure (it won't be since it has not been connected) and also not carbonated at the level of pressure and temp, then you will hear gas running into the keg. To a newbie, the sound could "sound" like a leak.

Have you confirmed a leak with a bubble test? Have you emptied a tank of gas by leaving it connected and that is why you think there is a leak?

If I am wrong and you are not a newbie to kegging then I apologize and suggest you replace the poppet. Buy a bunch in bulk to save $$. You'll eventually need more replacements anyway. If not you could make mad money on Ebay reselling them ;)
Private First Class - Philly Division

Drinking:
Tasty APA
DFH 60 Min
CYBI Dad's Little Helper
Black Velveteen - Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting:
Barleywine
Lagering:
Notta
Next up:
brews for NHC
In the Funkhouse:
empty
atomicpunk

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:04 am

it's definitely not just the sound of CO2 going into the keg. I'm still relatively new to kegging, but this is my...tenth maybe keg I've done.

The new post and poppet showed up last night so I'm going to put them on tonight and give it a go.

I've also got the parts so I can carb up to 4 kegs at once now so I've got some systems to build.

Garage, baseball, homebrew and wrenches, pliers & sockets!

San_Diego_Matt

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm going to chime in and say poppet, too. Was the keg left with CO2 connected? Or did you disconnect the CO2? Reason I ask, a couple of batches ago, the gas post had worked itself loose (or I didn't tighten it down tight enough) and I lost a whole tank of CO2 overnight. Got that replaced before NHC. On my return from NHC, someone had moved my CO2 tank into the fridge and loosed one of the nuts on the gas in line and I lost pressure on all three kegs, and still another tank of CO2.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:58 pm

after connecting the gas and hearing it run into the keg for 30 seconds or so, I put it in the fridge and let it chill. A week later I connected the CO2 at carbonating pressure (11psi) and heard some more gas rushing into the keg and heard gas leaking at the disconnect. I can hold the disconnect and not have it leak, but if I let go of the disconnect I can hear it leak again.

I didn't leave the CO2 connected to the keg so I'm lucky that I have not lost a bottle to a leaky keg/disconnect

San_Diego_Matt

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:05 am

San_Diego_Matt wrote:after connecting the gas and hearing it run into the keg for 30 seconds or so, I put it in the fridge and let it chill. A week later I connected the CO2 at carbonating pressure (11psi) and heard some more gas rushing into the keg and heard gas leaking at the disconnect. I can hold the disconnect and not have it leak, but if I let go of the disconnect I can hear it leak again.

I didn't leave the CO2 connected to the keg so I'm lucky that I have not lost a bottle to a leaky keg/disconnect

Ok. Do you have the plastic diconnects? If so, maybe the top screw in maybe loose or you are missing the gasket inside of the screw in part. There is a small rubber gasket between the screw in part and the "seat" where it contacts the body of the disconnect.

Another shot in the dark.

Weenie Boy
Weenie Boy

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:06 am

Weenie Boy wrote:
San_Diego_Matt wrote:after connecting the gas and hearing it run into the keg for 30 seconds or so, I put it in the fridge and let it chill. A week later I connected the CO2 at carbonating pressure (11psi) and heard some more gas rushing into the keg and heard gas leaking at the disconnect. I can hold the disconnect and not have it leak, but if I let go of the disconnect I can hear it leak again.

Ok. Do you have the plastic diconnects? If so, maybe the top screw in maybe loose or you are missing the gasket inside of the screw in part. There is a small rubber gasket between the screw in part and the "seat" where it contacts the body of the disconnect.

Another shot in the dark.

Weenie Boy

Going to have to go with Weenie Boy here. Do you have another disconnect you can swap out and check?
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing