Re: How To Reuse Your Heineken Mini-Kegs

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:46 am

You know, Dave, I've been thinking about this. I've been wondering if you could use little 20 oz. paintball CO2 tanks for your mini kegs. That way you could leave everything hooked up in your fridge, and refill the mini tanks from your main tank. Something I'd like to investigate. Of course you'd need a bunch of regulators. :? But I wonder if there's a cheap/easy way to do it.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello all. I joined the forum because of my interest in this topic. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the built-in gas canister issue? Is it built with a valve that prevents beer from entering it and fester over time? I am tempted to find an empty one and take my grinder to it...
fredericf75

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:59 pm

I didn't notice the dishes but I did see you got JP's "cat sun-catcher" hanging in the window. Lucky!
Jan Wolfhouse: So yeah, I heard you got fired from the brewery?

Landfill: [Landfill gets mad, throws his trophy] God damn brewery! You know that brewery makes 10,000 bottles of beer a day. I drink 45 of them, and I'm the asshole!
JasonHorlacher

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

I used an old Heineken keg for a batch last summer. The result tasted like metal. So it wasn't so much contamination that would be my concern (you're right, you can't get into that canister inside for proper cleaning), so much as rust over the long term. Apparently the lining inside these kegs doesn't last forever. Maybe a year, tops, before the beer will taste like metal. So buy a new keg and start over. No big whoop. Drill a hole, sanitize, and you're set. The hardest part of using these kegs is to rig the bung with the bike tube valve. If you can do that, and you've got a reasonably fresh keg, you're golden.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Here's a stupid question: Can I do this and then have my mini-keg refilled at the nearby brewery?
isaac

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:16 pm

After measuring the suggested bung I found out that it is in fact not only metric (23mm) but is much much closer to 7/8". After increasing the size of the hole in the keg to 7/8" the bung went in MUCH easier and still maintained an airtight seal. :aaron
TIpsyDragon

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Mills wrote:Very nice!

Now do the fucking dishes. :)

Mills
:bnarmy:

And take out the cat food cans
icameinyourmom501

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Can you explain how the bung will not get fired out of the top when pressurized? Is it just the act of wedging the rubber against the metal tin that keeps it in? Cheers
Will21NZ

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing