Re: How To Reuse Your Heineken Mini-Kegs

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:07 am

dmtaylor wrote:It takes about 2 or 3 of the little 12 or 16 gram CO2 cartridges to push out a full 5-liter keg of homebrew. At less than a buck a pop, it's not a huge expense, but worth a small amount of consideration.

in my experience it takes about 3 16 gram CO2 cartridges to push out 5 gallons of homebrew but i have only experienced this when friends are around and the keg gets finished that night. If your pushing your 5L keg over a few days there could be few areas of CO2 loss

the CO2 devices were not really meant to hold pressure once the seal of the cartridges has been broken. The 16 gram cartridges were designed to hold enough CO2 to get the full 120 psi into a road bicycle tube in the event of a flat. If you only use a portion of the CO2 cartridge (as homebrewers do), , there could be loss of pressure within the unit after a day or two. Also, from my bike shop days, the french sytle or presta inner tube valves can lose pressure unless you screw down the top.
Last edited by robert4136 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 and 2 always makes a 5
robert4136

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:21 am

This is exactly what I am finding. I've had a 5L keg tapped for 2 months, and I just had to pop my 3rd 12-gram CO2 due to leakage. I also screwed down the Presta valve because I had left it open -- I think this was the real source of the problem in the keg itself, as I don't seem to have the same problem when I screw it down.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 pm

since you have the presta valve, you can easily fit a pressure guage on there. When you don't have homebrew in there see if the keg will hold 5-10 psi without the cartridge on for a few days. This will tell you if anything on the keg (bung or tap handle is leaking.
2 and 2 always makes a 5
robert4136

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks for the help im just after finishing drink one of these kegs,
So now for the mods and then to fill with my home brew Centennial Blonde best beer i made yet :jnj
mrtickel

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:31 am

Good luck with it, bro.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:27 am

Dave, is this still working out for you?
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:46 pm

I haven't been brewing much lately, but otherwise yeah, it's worked a few times for me and I plan to fill another keg real soon.
Dave

dmtaylor

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:55 pm

did you do the dishes?
:lol:
snowcapt

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing