Jockey Box Plate Chiller

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:13 am

I just built a jockey box with a plate chiller.

Everything I've seen says that in jockey boxes with plate chillers you need to continuously remove the ice melt water. But, for jockey boxes with coils, you leave the water around the coils to improve contact for better heat transfer. Wouldn't the same principle work for the plate chillers? I would think that the water is a better medium for heat transfer than air (the ice would have much less than 100% contact with the plate and "bridging" is a problem repeatedly brought up that reduces efficiency). And, wouldn't the water stay at nearly 32F while the ice is melting?

So, why remove the water?

Cheers,
7Seas
7seas

Re: Jockey Box Plate Chiller

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:28 am

The water right around the chiller will warm up a little. Don't know why they recommend removing the water. I'd just stir it up so that the chiller is in contact with the coldest water possible. Depending on how cold you want your beer, of course.
Corporal, BN Army
:bnarmy:
Drinking:
Hoppy Brown (Brewmaster's Facebook Friday Special)
Fermenting:
Blonde Ale
Next up:
Flanders?
http://www.facebook.com/zingbrewclub
TheMadHopper

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing