Kegerator-- Lager Fermentation

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Does anyone else use a Kegerator for Lager Fermentation? I live in Chicago and the temps are on the rise. This rules out any near future lager brewing. After researching Kegerators, seems like most would work for both uses.

THoughts?
Delta Whiskey

Re: Kegerator-- Lager Fermentation

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:55 pm

Yes, most everyone does.
There are lots of chest freezer builds out there, as well as upright kegerators, used as fermentation chambers.
You need a good temperature control unit so that you can keep the unit at proper fermentation temp, as well as for changing temp (such as raising for diacetyl rest, or lowering to lagering or cold crashing temps).

Search this forum for temperature control and you'll find lots of threads.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:09 pm

Yes, in a way. I use an Oster 5.5 cuft refrigerator with a digital Johnson controller. The warmer months are great months for lagering. During the winter, not so much in the garage - too cold. This really inexpensive refrigerator can hold 38F when the garage is 90F. FYI
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:00 pm

I'm looking at the Danby 5.2 from Costco. Measured and it seems like a good fit. Specs say it comes with mech thermostat. That should work right?
Delta Whiskey

Return to Brewing Equipment