Anybody using a plain SS pot as a fermenter?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm tired of glass carboys that don't *quite* hold 5 gallons of fermenting beer - too many beer out the airlock occurrences. And... I don't want to spend $300+ on any kind of home-brew-sized conical.

I'd think 7.5 gallon stainless kettle would work beautifully. It's easy to clean and sanitize and I think the weight of the lid might act as an 'airlock'. If not, it could be drilled to hold a stopper and standard lock.

Is anyone fermenting in a large stainless pot/kettle? What's your opinion?
lambic

Re: Anybody using a plain SS pot as a fermenter?

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 pm

lambic wrote:I'm tired of glass carboys that don't *quite* hold 5 gallons of fermenting beer - too many beer out the airlock occurrences. And... I don't want to spend $300+ on any kind of home-brew-sized conical.

I'd think 7.5 gallon stainless kettle would work beautifully. It's easy to clean and sanitize and I think the weight of the lid might act as an 'airlock'. If not, it could be drilled to hold a stopper and standard lock.

Is anyone fermenting in a large stainless pot/kettle? What's your opinion?

I will admit, humbly, that I have immersion-chilled and immediately pitched into my boil kettle.

I made an airtight barrier of packing tape and aluminum foil, using that as a lid; but, I left a fraction of an inch lifted up from one edge.

It worked, at least the time I tried it.
GSak

Re: Anybody using a plain SS pot as a fermenter?

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:15 am

Never tried it, but I've heard of it being done successfully more than once. Usually just letting the boil do the sanitizing & not transferring at all post boil. My only worry would be the hop matter & trub for some styles.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Equipment