Re: Photos: My new JSP Maltmill

Sat May 31, 2014 5:51 am

I bought the bare bones Maltmill with the gears and one-sided adjustment, and I wasn't exactly impressed with the build quality. First, the fiber board sides were about a step above flimsy. The Gears meshed well and the spacing between the shafts was proper. However, the shafts were cut a little small, or the gears were bored just a bit over, and shims were required to give a good fit. A friend of mine cut some aluminum sides to replace the fiber board, and built an aluminum hopper that will hold more than enough grain for a 10 gallon batch. So, despite all of the issues, the rollers are still good and it's a good design, and with the modifications it will serve me well for years. It rips through some grain with a 3/4 hp motor. Here is a picture of my set up:

JoeBeer100

Re: Photos: My new JSP Maltmill

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:21 am

Nice setup!

After being initially miffed at the construction, I decided to super-tighten all the bolts and screws, again using blue Loctite. Additionally, I moved the crank closer to the mill body (the shaft length allows for some adjustment). Now, the mill cranks easier and doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart when I crush.

Original post edited to reflect my findings.
GSak

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment