Whiskey/Maple Barrel

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 am

I just picked up a used whiskey barrel that was used for a batch of maple syrup. The problem is I won't be able to brew a batch of beer for this thing until the end of april. Will it be okay sitting around for that long?
NervousDad

Re: Whiskey/Maple Barrel

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 am

NervousDad wrote:I just picked up a used whiskey barrel that was used for a batch of maple syrup. The problem is I won't be able to brew a batch of beer for this thing until the end of april. Will it be okay sitting around for that long?

I suspect the maple residue will get pretty funky unless you can refrigerate it. I suppose you could pour a fifth of whiskey in and slosh it around and then keep everything damp with a towel or regular mistings. the aim is to keep the outside from drying out and also prevent mold/mildew. I kept my barrel in the spare shower and just hit it with a spray all over every few days. combined with the residue of spirits still inside it was find for a month or so.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"

-A. Einstein
morticaixavier

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Refrigeration is no problem, it's about 20 degrees in the garage :) I guess I have to break down and make another fermentation chamber to I can brew some more beer.
NervousDad

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:55 pm

So it was a whiskey barrel first, but was most recently used for maple syrup? That's gonna be a nice sugar source for someone to get growing in there....
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Yeah I'm getting nervous now. I was supposed to be brewing tonight, but with my starter issue looks like it won't be until tomorrow. I figure 10 day in primary and get this porter in there. Maybe I can do 7 days ( I hope). I wonder if I should dump some cheap whiskey in there
Last edited by NervousDad on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NervousDad

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 am

Try reaching out to Founders to see how they handle their CBS barrels. I can't imagine they're willing to risk contamination with those batches.
MNHazmat

Return to Brewing Equipment