options for floor drains

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:29 am

I am looking at buying one of those pre-fab home-depot sheds or building something. Around 12x16 in size. I need some of the area for storage but at least 1/2 would be dedicated to brewing.

I am not much of a carpenter so the easy solution is to buy the pre-fab sheds homedepot/lowes sale. However these come with a wooden floor and I really want to build in floor drains. If I were to build my own I can pour a concrete slab and incorporate the drains. Is there any method to incorporating floor drains into a wood floor. I am sure the big guys get stuck in this situation and found some ideas on probrewer.com, but I'd like to here if any DYI guys have done it.
dirtbikejunkie

Re: options for floor drains

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:59 am

+1 to this, I have also been thinking about this quite a bit lately. Would love to hear if anyone else has done it themselves.
Diddler

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 pm

I think the session did a show on this an talked about the different types of drains. I don't know the exact show date but I do know it was with building your home brewery from start up to the Doc setup.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:22 pm

I bought a used 20 foot shipping container to store some fixtures in at work. It was less than $3000, delivered, with a fresh coat of paint, which is comparable to a 12 x 16 prefab from the borg. You could probably put a floor drain in one of those, since the floor is 8 or so inches off the ground.
Beer_Baron

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:41 am

dirtbikejunkie wrote:I am looking at buying one of those pre-fab home-depot sheds or building something. Around 12x16 in size. I need some of the area for storage but at least 1/2 would be dedicated to brewing.

I am not much of a carpenter so the easy solution is to buy the pre-fab sheds homedepot/lowes sale. However these come with a wooden floor and I really want to build in floor drains. If I were to build my own I can pour a concrete slab and incorporate the drains. Is there any method to incorporating floor drains into a wood floor. I am sure the big guys get stuck in this situation and found some ideas on probrewer.com, but I'd like to here if any DYI guys have done it.

It should be fairly simple to put a floor drain in one of those sheds, the easiest method would probably be to elevate the structure on support beams. Drill a hole in the floor using a hole saw and build a drain line using PVC pulling it away from the structure. Or as you stated you could slab it and incorporate a drain pipe into the slab, probably should go steel then to prevent cracking when the crete is setting.

Also should probably note, that you should tile the floor of the shed (laminant or ceramic), as wood does not deal well in those environments.
CRBrewHound

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:16 am

I guess my question should have been more clear... What I am hoping to hear are examples of building a sloped sub-floor with floor drains on an existing floor with a finish of something like concrete, tile, etc.

I prefer concrete for ease of cleaning. However, tile seems more straight forward and I would imagine no different then a bathroom except you need to first build a sloped sub-floor to lay the tile on.

Concrete I was thinking you could just slop the concrete itself and just need to have a water tight barrier between the wood floor and concrete.
dirtbikejunkie

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 am

dirtbikejunkie wrote:I guess my question should have been more clear... What I am hoping to hear are examples of building a sloped sub-floor with floor drains on an existing floor with a finish of something like concrete, tile, etc.

I prefer concrete for ease of cleaning. However, tile seems more straight forward and I would imagine no different then a bathroom except you need to first build a sloped sub-floor to lay the tile on.

Concrete I was thinking you could just slop the concrete itself and just need to have a water tight barrier between the wood floor and concrete.

I remember reading an article in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Associati ... 0937381896

It dealt specifically with different types of flooring options (tile, concrete, etc.) and drainage options.
Diddler

Return to Brewing Equipment