15 gal. vs 20 gal. Brew Kettle

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:45 pm

I designed my brew stand with ten gallon kettles to make 5 gallon batches. I like 5 gallon batches because I like variety. I figured I would be content to brew that way forever. So, naturally, I'm looking for a bigger brew kettle to make 10 gallons and to have more room for high gravity mashes (I mash in my kettle and transfer to a cooler for vorlauf and sparge). I could get a 15 gallon kettle, but to have 10 actual gallons, I need to make at least 12 gallons to compensate for the sludge in the kettle. Therefore, I would need to have at least 14 gallons in the kettle at the start of the boil. This would max out the 15 gallon kettle. I could add Fermcap-S to avoid a boilover. I was thinking, a 20 gallon kettle from NB isn't that much more expensive than a 15 gallon, and that would give me plenty of capacity. My stand is over-engineered and can easily handle the extra weight, BTW. What do you guys think?
"Well...I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer."
-Jim Morrison, "Road House Blues"
Guido

Re: 15 gal. vs 20 gal. Brew Kettle

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:04 pm

How are you transferring to your lauter cooler? If it's lift and dump, gonna be harder with big batch... Are you going to want to be doing 15gal batches in the future?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:17 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:How are you transferring to your lauter cooler? If it's lift and dump, gonna be harder with big batch... Are you going to want to be doing 15gal batches in the future?

It's a lift and dump transfer from a large pitcher. However, this is not something I plan on doing all the time. I'm still committed to making 5 gallon batches, but I'm getting tired of mooching my buddy's 15 gallon kettle when I make a Barley Wine, RIS, or a big batch of Kolsch. I don't plan on making 15 gallon batches, but I never planned on ever making 10 gallon batches either. I'm thinking for a few extra bucks, it would be best to go for 20 gallons.
Guido

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:25 pm

How does the kettle shape compare between the 15 and 20? If the 20 is really wide, you may get excessive boil off on a 5 gal batch...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:44 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:How does the kettle shape compare between the 15 and 20? If the 20 is really wide, you may get excessive boil off on a 5 gal batch...

Definitely on the excessive boil off. I'd use my trusty ten gallon kettle for a five gallon batch. I think the 20 gallon is not much wider than the 15.
Guido

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:47 pm

I'd go with the 20. For hoppy beers, I make 13.5 gallon batches (to get 2 full kegs). I start with 14.5 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle, which has made a mess a few times. Fermcap doesn't always save the day, for me anyway. The extra space would make life much easier.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:31 pm

cdburg wrote:I'd go with the 20. For hoppy beers, I make 13.5 gallon batches (to get 2 full kegs). I start with 14.5 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle, which has made a mess a few times. Fermcap doesn't always save the day, for me anyway. The extra space would make life much easier.

That's what I'm thinking--for only a few more $.
Guido

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:14 am

If its in the budget go bigger. I can comfortably make 12 gal batches in my keggle but more room would be better, especially for long boils.
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment