Re: The well equiped homebrewer

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:58 am

No worries! We're all friends here!

So far, it's gotten worse, but it is because of the complications surrounding my situation.
I am supposed to have some work done later this year which "might" help the foggy aspect, but there is nothing that can be done about the acuity.
For me, it's like looking in that steamed mirror after the morning shower. I have my text white on black so I can read this, and even then have my nose to the screen.
One of the hardest parts, ironically, is having been able to see, I had my Captain's ticket, to losing so much of it. You really learn not to take those eyes for granted. You have your independence and you slowly feel it slip away, things you could do without a second thought become a challange.
The cool thing is that it makes me innovative, especially with regards to my brewing!

Cheers
Scott
P.S. One of the reasons I love this network is that it gives me access to info that I otherwise wouldn't have. Many things have improved since Charlie's book first came out! LOL
Beer, what all good things are built upon!
Primary:
Lagering:
On tap: Wharfside Porter
On tap: Braw Jock
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:26 am

I was wondering, as my grandmother has had MD in her eyes over the 20 yrs, and has been legally blind for the last 10 or so, but still lives by herself and does all kinds of things that most people cannot. She is able to see general shapes and colors, but that's about it. She'll be 93 this year and still walks to the store and hairdresser, takes the senior bus to the mall, etc. She also still paints and draws, completely from memory, often of places she saw during WWII in Europe. If I woke up tomorrow with her vision, I'd be helpless, but since it was a gradual loss for her, she's developed ways around it. Good on you for still brewing man!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 am

Hey man, sounds like you have great genetics too, just the fact the she is in her 90's and is doing all that, that is friggin awesome and inspiring! I wish her a continued long and happy life!

Her experinces through the war and mine with this situation have just reempahsized the adapt and overcome attitude. There a lot of people who have it a lot worse, so, I consider myself lucky in a way.
The the smells and sounds of brwing are fatastic, just the strengthening of the sense of smell can be both a blessing and a curse! LOL
Primary:
Lagering:
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:25 pm

So if you judge beer, do you give it full marks on appearance, or zero points?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:15 am

brewindruid wrote:it's like looking in that steamed mirror after the morning shower

spiderwrangler wrote:So if you judge beer, do you give it full marks on appearance, or zero points?

Depends if it's a wheat beer or not :jnj
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:19 am

spiderwrangler wrote:So if you judge beer, do you give it full marks on appearance, or zero points?

Only dark beers, and I deduct for haze! LOL
Primary:
Lagering:
brewindruid

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:26 am

brewindruid wrote:The DIY is kinda tough for me, I am about as severly visually impaired as one can get and not be blind, little projects are kind of twice as difficult. That is the reason I was leaning towards the meter, comparing colours on strips is getting a bit dodgey!
You can bet I try to steer clear of wiring and such! LOL

Check out the Stir Starter: http://www.stirstarters.com/
It's made by a guy in Michigan and comes with a lifetime warranty.
I like building my own equipment but after seeing the price ($45) compared to other stir plates I bought it immediately.

As far as other upgrades:
+1 on temp control
turkey burner to get off of the kitchen stove
building a heat stick shortened my brewday a bit

Good luck! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks for the link Cap'n, I will have to check it out!

I have been using the Kab-6, but I hope to convert both my HLT and BK over to electric this winter. The Kab-6 is quite a force though. I don't believe I have ever taken it much past half open! Actually blew up a ball valve after a heat shield design failed.
Primary:
Lagering:
brewindruid

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment