Whirlpool questions

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:55 am

Anyone have a formula for determining the required flow rate for obtaining a whirlpool for a given volume of liquid?
(I'm looking at pump sizing for getting a proper whirlpool going.)

I've seen a few people use "whirlpool chillers" in a "normal" kettle -can these things get as good of a whirlpool going as a kettle that was designed as a combi kettle+whirlpool with a tangential inlet? Pros / Cons for either method?
-Is there any benefit to stepping down the size of your whirlpool inlet from the typical pump 1/2" fitting? (Does a smaller ID increase velocity and contribute to a better whirlpool?)

Where should the liquid "out" in a flat-bottomed whirlpool be located to maximize tank drainage while minimizing picking up hop crud /break material?

Is there much point in whirlpooling if you use whole hops or is this really a pellet-only affair?

How much will a electric heater element and immersion chiller impact your ability to get a good whirlpool going?

Thanks!
Adam
biertourist

Re: Whirlpool questions

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 am

For what it's worth, I found a fantastic old Brewing Techniques article that has a lot of practical engineering advice for whirlpools.

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/l ... rchet.html

The best advice is to measure your whirlpool's performance by floating a pingpong ball on top, counting the number of revolutions per minute and then plugging this into a formula along with the diameter of your vessel.

Adam
biertourist

Return to Brewing Equipment