Brewing software needed, but with limits

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:29 am

I guess this is brewing equipment, so here it goes. I heard on one of the past shows discussing brewing software that one of the programs will convert recipie size for you. I want to get into smaller batch brewing as I am the only beer drinker in the house and 5 gallons of the same stuff gets dull. I want to enter a recipie in 5 gallons (or whatever they are published as), click a convert button to change it to 2.5 gallons. ALSO, it would be nice if it ran on Mac.
lurker18

Re: Brewing software needed, but with limits

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 am

Beersmith 2. Great software, and regular updates.

~widget
Buttwidget

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am

Buttwidget wrote:Beersmith 2. Great software, and regular updates.

~widget

^This

The latest version does it all. It takes a bit of getting used to, since there are so many features, but if you setting up the things you need first, you'll figure it out. Brad Smith also provides lots of instructional tips, and has a pretty active forum for helping you to figure things out.
________

Brew for the future.
Drink in the moment.
BierTodd

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 pm

If you have the storage space, I'd also recommend brewing a few 5 gallon batches of beers that benefit from long aging time, ones that will improve in a year, two, etc...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Or continue with 5 gallon batches and split into separate 3 gallon fermenters. Try different yeasts, dry hops, fruits, dilutions, etc. Then you can use BeerSmith to work out those 2.5 gallon recipes for your new 3 gallon fermenters.

That will break up the dull-ness.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 pm

lurker18 wrote:I guess this is brewing equipment, so here it goes. I heard on one of the past shows discussing brewing software that one of the programs will convert recipie size for you. I want to get into sma
This sounds like a ller batch brewing as I am the only beer drinker in the house and 5 gallons of the same stuff gets dull. I want to enter a recipie in 5 gallons (or whatever they are published as), click a convert button to change it to 2.5 gallons. ALSO, it would be nice if it ran on Mac.

This sounds like an advertisement for BeerSmith

love

g
grod

Return to Brewing Equipment