Barrel Care

Wed May 23, 2012 1:58 am

Are there any books out there that explain how to take care of oak barrels? Whether they've been previously used for wine or spirits and going to be used for funky or non-funky beers? I've read Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow but I'm looking for something more in depth and specific toward barrel care. I'm expecting a Bourbon Barrel soon and would like to get the Bourbon character out as fast as possible so I can inoculate it for sours.

This is helpful but only pertains to wine barrels.
Next:
Fermenting: Cider, Azacca Oat Pils, Egregious-ish, Lambic, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead, Brett Helles
Drinking: RIS, Doppelbock, Sauerkraut Gose, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Rye Berliner
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel
dstar26t

Re: Barrel Care

Wed May 23, 2012 4:43 am

Why do you say it only pertains to wine? I know it was written for wine barrels, but much of the general stuff for maintenance should hold true. If you want to get the bourbon character out, run a few beers through the barrel that you do want the bourbon character in, or do a series of soaks and rinses with water.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: Barrel Care

Wed May 23, 2012 8:15 am

That sounds about right. Looking for initial use prep too.
Next:
Fermenting: Cider, Azacca Oat Pils, Egregious-ish, Lambic, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead, Brett Helles
Drinking: RIS, Doppelbock, Sauerkraut Gose, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Rye Berliner
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel
dstar26t

Return to Brewing Equipment