Re: Newbie Equipment Questions

Mon May 21, 2012 5:43 am

BrewsterAZ wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Going to order equipment tomorrow. Think I'll start small and work my way up. Partial boils, single stage fermentation, maybe pick up a second fermentation bucket so I can have two going at once.

Did you get the Midwest Groupon? Unless you are itching to get going right away ( and who wouldn't be ), they pop up from time to time. They had them a couple times in February & April, and the last one was in May. No guarantee it will come up again.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/05/mi ... today.html

Keep checking the Homebrewfinds site for deals as well.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue May 22, 2012 1:25 pm

I just went though this. I used the Groupon code form Midwest supply. Started off with extract then switched to all grain.

Below are some things I added AFTER the Groupon code.

1/2 auto siphon.
Starsan
PBW
Bottles from craigslist, 200 FREE pop offs, and 100 not so free swing tops
7 gal pot from ebay
13 gal pot from craigslist
bottle tree
bottle sanitizer for bottle tree.
stir paddle
chiller (50' 1/2 copper tube) for $35.00, found a hardware store going out of biz.
mash tun
better bottle 6.5 gal
Good thermometer for mash tun
test jar
dad311

Thu May 24, 2012 10:11 am

Other than sanitation my only suggestion would be to start small (i.e. partial boils and extract) and buy/upgrade equipment as it fits into your developing brewing style. Besides the thermometer and strainer there is probably nothing you need outside of the kit.
SeeFish

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment