Re: Beginning all-grain equipment

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Adam wrote:If you can't find anything used, you can always buy the Igloo coolers from Walmart and the rest of the stuff to make your mash tun at homebrew shops or hardware stores. I'm going to be batch sparging so it will be cheaper for equipment.

Yeah, that's what I did. Cooler, my 5-gallon small kettle and my 8 gallon aluminum kettle that came with my turkey fryer. I dunno how thrift stores look in the Bay Area (I have this vision of endless rows of overpriced "vintage goods" stores run by hipsters, for some reason) but that's pretty much how I built mine, except you'll probably want a newer cooler, to avoid BPA as much as possible.
JakeAndBake

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 pm

I would check with Justin ... I think he has an old brew sculpture that hasn't been used since Chadd moved out. :D
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:09 pm

It's surprising what you can find at hardware stores. I bought my 8 gallon hot liquor tank at Menards for 28 bucks. Check out your local box stores, lowes or home depot, look in the area they have the grills. Coolers work, but I have never seen one that was rated for heat. I bought my first boil kettle in the canning section of meijer, rural king and tractor supply are a good place to look for canning supplies too. Cheers!
larry78cj7

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:01 pm

JakeAndBake

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment