Re: Do turkey fryers make good brewpots?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 am

BDawg wrote:Once you go to 5 gallon full boil batches, ice baths no longer cut it.
5.5 gallons of near-boiling wort is too much to move around without serious risk of scalding yourself or someone else.
It takes far too long to cool down, and all along the way, it's a great environment for bacteria to take hold and ruin your beer before its even out of the pot. Of course, you can cover it, but that prolongs cooling and any SMM that would escape can't because of the lid.

Bottom line, the turkey fryer and wort chiller go hand in hand. You'll be glad you got them together.

I managed to get a turkey fryer + pot for 40 bucks at the thrift store, I took it as a sign and spent fifty more bucks on a wort chiller. I'd already had a mashtun built from the last AG conversion attempt that ran out of money, so for 100 bucks, I went up to all-grain.

Buy the cheapest damn wort chiller you can find, just BUY ONE. I probably wouldn't be brewing these days if I didn't have one, it's just too useful.
JakeAndBake

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:18 pm

you can make a nice immersion chiller for really cheap, and it isn't much work at all.
Corporal in the BN Army

On Tap: Carpet Shark Amber, Black Silk Stout, Raison D'Saison, Black Silk Stout (adjusted water)
MattK

Tue May 15, 2012 11:29 am

siwelwerd wrote:There is nothing wrong with aluminium. However, I found I really had to babysit it as it came to a boil to prevent boilovers (a squirt bottle is quite handy for this).

Was the boilover issue with the 7.5 gallon pot a function of the size or the material?

Just asking because the local Mexican market has 10 gallon alu pots for $35. Thinking about getting one so I can do full 5 gallon batches. Thinking about buying it now, using it as brew kettle for a few extract batches, then repurposing it to be HLT when I switch to all grain, at which point I would spring for a nicer brew kettle.
skibikejunkie

Tue May 15, 2012 3:47 pm

skibikejunkie wrote:
siwelwerd wrote:There is nothing wrong with aluminium. However, I found I really had to babysit it as it came to a boil to prevent boilovers (a squirt bottle is quite handy for this).

Was the boilover issue with the 7.5 gallon pot a function of the size or the material?

Just asking because the local Mexican market has 10 gallon alu pots for $35. Thinking about getting one so I can do full 5 gallon batches. Thinking about buying it now, using it as brew kettle for a few extract batches, then repurposing it to be HLT when I switch to all grain, at which point I would spring for a nicer brew kettle.

You will need a chiller as well. I always wonder why more people don't use aluminum HLT's. It seems like you could build one for much cheaper than stainless and it would be easier to drill to add fittings like weldless valves and sight glasses.
Beer_Baron

Tue May 15, 2012 4:28 pm

skibikejunkie wrote:Was the boilover issue with the 7.5 gallon pot a function of the size or the material?

The size/geometry (taller, narrower pots will tend to boilover more I think). I would jump on a 10 gallon pot @$35.
siwelwerd

Tue May 15, 2012 5:55 pm

I have used a 30 qt aluminium pot to make award winning beers. Don't sweat it.

Be sure to 'season' the aluminum pot. Boil regular water in it for 30 minutes. This will dull the finish on the inside of the pot with a layer of aluminum oxide. Don't scrub it 'shiny' clean after use, just get the chunks of hops and splooge off the inside. It will also let you time "tap to boiling temp," which is helpful for planning brew day.

I also use Fermcap-S to help prevent boil overs. Sometimes I add a bit of water at flame out to make the correct volume. But that is a bunch of math and BS not needed now. :)

Spend your time and money on sanitation and fementation control(temp and O2). :)

Cheers and happy brewing,
The Fool.
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Tue May 15, 2012 7:18 pm

bikefoolery wrote:splooge off the inside.

I'm glad I haven't had any of your 'award winning beer'... :nutters:
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
bikefoolery wrote:splooge off the inside.

I'm glad I haven't had any of your 'award winning beer'... :nutters:

Makes me wonder if "tap to boiling" really means what I think it means.

In either event, thanks for the advice.
skibikejunkie

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Equipment