Other than the obvious fire issue, is the main safety issue with using a propane burner in the garage carbon monoxide?
I'm cracking the garage door and feel like I'm getting enough ventilation, but I'm thinking about getting a carbon monoxide detector if it would help.
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless and poisons gas which accumulates on the hemoglobin (the oxygen carrying portion of your blood cells) at twice the rate of oxygen. The more that you are exposed to CO, the more that you will become sensitive to it throughout your lifetime.
Without proper ventilation, CO will accumulate at the floor level as soon as the exhaust from the burner cools and will pool in low areas and areas without air circulation. If you have children, they will be at much greater danger simply because they are shorter and will inhale the CO near the floor.
I respond to CO incidents and you would be surprised how quickly CO can accumulate to very dangerous or lethal levels.
Keep the doors open and allow the CO to drain out of garage. Be careful, the stuff is real bad and you wonâ€™t know it until it is too late.