Replacement propane hoses for burners on TopTier

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:28 pm

I have a Top Tier system and love it, but I've always had significant gas leakage from my black pipe joints. This is because the propane hose from the black pipe to the burner is so short that I can't crank the black pipe all the way tight, or else the fitting I have to connect to on the black pipe is a few inches too far away to reach. That is, looking down on the black pipe, I have to have the fitting at a location within a 20 degree slice of that circle in order to get the propane hose to connect.

I am reconfiguring my stand so this seems like a good time to fix that problem. It looks like I could buy a propane hose with 3/8 inch flare fittings from eBay, and then use a male/female adapter on one end of that to make that work.

However, before purchasing something at random that may not work, I was hoping to pick someone's brain about how to do this. I've seen pictures of people's TopTier stands with yellow propane flex hose instead of the propane hose that came with the system. If you're one of those people, I would appreciate knowing what kind of hose that is and where you bought it. Thanks!
BS

Re: Replacement propane hoses for burners on TopTier

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:31 pm

The black ones are lazy and inefficient. I'd spring for a white one, they're much more reliable. Or a brown one, they're cheap and work very well.

.02$
Bobbie Dooley

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:47 pm

I didn't know they came in colors. Where do you purchase such things?
BS

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Any Parker Store will have SS25UL hose or equivalent at another hose supplier. They can make up the appropraite length for you. Or, if you hust need a few more milimeters, use a male pipe to female pipe adapter of the ssame pipe size and the one you have on the blackiron pipe, to give you a little more length. Using it as an extender. Example part number from Parker is 222P-6-6.

Some thoughts.

Also, seems like Amazon and other sites have a lot of made up LPG hoses in varying lengths. You can also buy the yellow convoluted flex line at the big box stores like Home Depot. They also have these fittings, as well as SAE45 J512/13 adapters. FYI
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Since I'm not terribly handy, I was thinking more along the lines of something like this. http://www.centuryfuelproducts.com/hose ... embly.html

Would this work?
BS

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Wow. Not much information on that website. Lots of hoses out there performing a lot of different functions. That link does not state what "fluids" it is meant to convey. Is the core tube EPDM, Nitrile, Teflon, etc.

Best bet is to search for LPG hoses online. I assume you have a pipe to SAE45 adapter in the black iron pipe inlet. You will need to make sure you get the correct flare ends (SAE45) and that all the sizes/threads match up. I am not familiar with the Top Tier gas plumbing.

See this link at Amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... LPG%20hose
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:45 pm

BS wrote:I didn't know they came in colors. Where do you purchase such things?

That was a racist joke, I had nothing constructive to say. :asshat:
Bobbie Dooley

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:27 am

Did you, by chance, use the yellow thread seal tape on your black pipe?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures