Pick up tube

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 am

I am wanting to put a new pick up tube in my boil vessel (keggle). Currently, I'm using a copper pipe pick up tube (1/2" male thread attached to about 4" straight copper attached to a 45 deg coupler attached to a 2" straight piece). It works, however, when the wort level reaches about 1" above the tube, the drain off slows down to a trickle.

I'm wondering if it would be better if I just used a straight piece of copper piping, instead of the 45 deg piece, if that would help with getting the wort out of my boiling vessel more efficiently?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Darin Christopher - 1SG, California Div, High Desert Brigade, 1st Batallion
Darin Christopher
Home Brewer
Darin68

Re: Pick up tube

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 am

1" above the opening of the tube or 1" above the whole thing? If it's the former & the elbow/bulkhead are exposed, perhaps there's a small leak.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:45 pm

do you have a tube attached to the outlet that drops below the bottom of the kettle? that'll help act as a siphon to pull the rest of the wort out.
chopper

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Chopper has the right answer to this problem. You need an outlet tube extending below the kettle bottom to maintain the siphon.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to Brewing Sculptures