Re: Can 3 propane regulators be used? (Drawing linked)

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:09 am

Ozwald wrote: All 3 burners are going to fire (or leak gas) at once... no individual control... unless you add separate valves before each burner, which is what he was trying to avoid.

From my understanding copper should only be used with low pressure propane, like what you get from the large twinkie looking ones out in the yard. The BBQ tanks operate at a much higher pressure which is what makes the copper unsafe. But I'm no professional, that's just my understanding of it. I'd rather err on the safer, less potential for explosion (which would over caramelize your wort & that's just uncalled for) side.

Funny, I missed the lack of control for each burner!

Yeah, run one regulator and use the money saved for needle valves at each burner ($8-10 ea.).
I'd never trust a regulator at 0 psi to be a shutoff, cause it isn't!

Decoction by explosion... I love it Ozwald!
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 am

so i assume a needle valve is different than a ball valve made for gas... where do you get the needle valves? My Lowes and Home Depot doesn't carry them.
jasonclick

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:41 am

jasonclick wrote:so i assume a needle valve is different than a ball valve made for gas... where do you get the needle valves? My Lowes and Home Depot doesn't carry them.

You are correct. Needle valves allow for a much more precise control of the gas.
"Brass Control Valve" :
http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Replac ... ts_02.html

Multiple configurations of similar valves:
http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/misc_p ... _parts.htm

Steer clear from the Lowes and Home Depot valves. They are meant to be on/off only.
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:49 am

I'm going to assume you've never plumbed gas before. It's no joke. If you don't feel comfortable working on a bomb, I'd recommend paying someone to do it... either in cash or homebrew. But if you think you can handle it:

1: Make sure you have the appropriate tools. A proper pipe wrench is a must. So is thread seal tape, but not the same kind we use for our liquid connections. They make a special kind just for gas lines. It's typically yellow.

2: Make sure you don't get anything inside the pipe.

3: Fill a spray bottle with soapy water & test every connection extremely well. A tiny leak ensures your bomb will over-decoct your mash. Very quickly. On the plus side you'll have no trouble with striking too low... and you'll likely kick that nasty O2 habit at the same time.

Be safe & best of luck!
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Ozwald wrote:I know, that was referring to Guido's hairbrained idea to blow himself up... or learn to read. :wink:

I've had much more hairbrained ideas than that!
"Well...I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer."
-Jim Morrison, "Road House Blues"
Guido

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:28 am

I'm not sure that I followed the discussion completely - not a regular here - but thought i'd add two points:

1) you should not use copper for LP or NG, as I understand it. Both are corrosive and will corrode copper. The fitting that are used for both are brass, not copper - though brass does contain a percentage of copper. afaik, gas fitting and pipe are always stainless 304/316/4nn varieties, black iron, brass, or a PEX-like high pressure tube (its not really PEX, similar, but resistant to the corrosive properties).

2) AFAIK, use as many regulators as you wish, but you should have a regulator on the LP tank too. The tank operates at high pressure (100-200 psi). You should step that down to about 10 psi for safety purposes and to avoid rupturing the pipe. LP at 10 psi is plenty to to supply 3 90 kbtu low pressure burners, for example.
skyeline

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures