Building a brew sculpture.....

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 pm

I am at a point where I want to start using a sculpture when brewing. I want to make my own and I am looking for info on materials.

1. is angle iron from an old bed frame strong enough to create a system? This assumes proper bracing of the base and the uprights.

2. Is the metal from said bed frame heat resistant enough to deal with the mounted burners.

3. I am currently making 5 gallon batches, but I envision a time when I will be doing 10 gallons, I want this system to be able to accommodate this, so any pointers on the base design will be very helpful.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Re: Building a brew sculpture.....

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:51 pm

1. yep
2. yep
3. hmmmmmm study hard and practice

:jnj
snowcapt

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks Snowcapt. That helps a lot.
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:28 am

Bill,
I brew on a sculpture made from old bed frames. If you ever want to see it I brew Monday nights in Epsom not far from the traffic circle. Either PM me here or hit my email/facebook and I can give you more info.

Chris
The time is near the mission clear,
Its later than you think, before you slip
into the night you'll want something to drink.
NHBrewer

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:18 am

NHbeerscene wrote:Thanks Snowcapt. That helps a lot.

I do what I can...
:jnj
snowcapt

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Using old bed frames means it's all about the design. Like you said it's all about sufficient bracing. Which brings up a question, how many bed frames do you have? When I built my system I used just shy of 60 feet of 1.5" square tubing. I'm going to guess that a queen sized cheap metal bed frame might have 16' of pretty thin angle. Depending on what kind of system you are thinking about you are going to need at least a couple of old bed frames.
customfab

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:23 pm

I built my sculpture from a bed frame that I found next to a dumpster. It has served me well. Let me know if you want anymore details on it.

JoeBeer100

Return to Brewing Sculptures