Re: 1bbl Elec. System help

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:24 am

Monster Mash wrote:240 in both pots which automatically turn on with spa timers.

To me that seems like one of the best things about electric breweries. The time it takes to heat strike water feels like the biggest waste of time in the brewday to me. Granted I fill that time now with weighing out and milling my grist, but it would be so nice to be able to do that the night before and just walk out to the garage and dough in on brewday morning.
Travisty

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 pm

derfburg wrote:I am looking into doing a 1bbl fully elect. system. I am needing help in finding info on how to go about this. I saw a thread on some other forum, but they were vague and kinda shitty about the build.

Do you know specifically what your questions are?

This guy
http://theelectricbrewery.com/
Has a tutorial
pictures even

I'm planning on using BrewTroller which is a microprocessor controller even has a slick graphical interface for a computer to ruin your brewery. PIDs are a bit of a PITA if you want to change anything 'cause of all the coding and crap.

Not sure if I could do HERMS/RIMS or what.

Unless you are planning on some really robust thermal energy input options I think that any substantial volume of fluid will present such a severe thermal inertia obstacle to you changing temperature quickly enough that either herms or rims might be a bad way to go.

Have you looked at the Brutus?
Two tanks. One is the MT the other the BK.
The user adds the strike water to the BK and heats it.
Then circulates it through the tun and back again all the using the thermal input capacity of the BK to quickly move the mash temp wherever the uses wants. I should think this is much faster than herms or rims.
The system is self vourlaufing but you don't sparge.
I suppose you could sparge with a brutus using a smaller heater chamber much like a RIMS type heater to heat the incoming water to 170 before pumping it into the MT.
Whether it'd be too slow to escape astringency and such I can't say.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:38 am

Cliff

Nothing against the excellent system described above because that is one great system! But, like me, if you're electrically challenged, I would go with a proven system that someone else has built and tested.

First, you might want to look at http://www.highgravitybrew.com

Dave and Desiree have a setup called the EBC II along with a couple others to control a pump and a 240 volt connection for electric elements used in the HLT and BK. They also sell the elements already wired up as well. I use them combined with a couple RANCO temp controllers on my HERMS setup. The EBC II has a control to adjust the output of the element and works very well. The EBC II is capable of controlling up to a 6000 watt low density element which should be enough to boil up to 40 gallons of wort.

Lastly, you should look at http://conical-fermenter.com/products/

They put out SS HLTs, BK, Fermentors, etc that can have features included that are on par with a professional brewery and at prices that compare favorably to Blichmann products. They will do special orders for large home brew systems (up to 1 Bbl) and I'm sure could accommodate drilling some holes for your electric elements.

Cheers and Good luck

Bill :jnj
BillfromOB

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures