Thermocouple Placement

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Im trying to figure out the best placement for my thermocouple for my herms. i used an old corny keg and turned it into my Heat exchanger ex. http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/RIMS/keg.htm details about mine. i used 25' 3/8 copper tubing. 1500w Heat element 120v. any advice would be much appreciated.
Jim Dawg

Re: Thermocouple Placement

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:14 pm

Looks like you have a stirrer on the HEX. Placing the thermocouple any where in the HEX water would be fine then. Set it a deg or 2 above your mash temp and no worries.

You do not want to put the thermocouple on the output of the HEX or in the MLT unless you have a way of controlling the rate of flow with the PID controller. If you don't you will over shoot your mash temps every time.

Nice looking setup!
CodeRage

Re: Thermocouple Placement

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:36 pm

OK thanks for the info... btw im copying the guys from the link so thats not my actual setup, but kinda close :)
Jim Dawg

Return to Brewing Sculptures