Re: Brewhouse - sculpture complete!!! Brewed 20 Gallons sunday!

Sun May 03, 2009 6:14 am

Holy Crap! Nice Job!!
BN Army CORPORAL http://mega-brew.com :bnarmy:
gruversm

Sun May 03, 2009 7:30 am

pinbrew wrote:
Saltycow wrote:Awesome system. what program are you running on the laptop?

I can supply the XPSI program, only other thing you would need to program it is a rs232-485 converter to plug into it..

I'll have to do a write up on it and let everyone know about them... give me some time and I'll post that info..

mike

I don't know about the other guys, but I'll hold you to that one :) Excellent rig, you should really consider doing a full-blown writeup On the build, wiring, a programming and submit it to the brewing magazine guys. A full electric system like this would be right up their alley, and I'd sure as hell buy a copy (if I weren't already subscribed).
Frankenhop

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:20 pm

Great System Man, seems as though your investments were well worth it.

I wanted to ask, what did you use to insulate you tanks? I found a few closed cell rubber foam sheets that might do the trick, but was interested in what you used since it seems as though it works.

Thanks,
Sean
SeanGC

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:36 pm

foomench wrote:
first of all the HLT with its 1500w element takes forever to heat my water to strike temps

This won't help doing multiple batches in a row, but what about using the boil kettle to heat the first water for mashing in while the HLT heats up the stuff for mashing out? That was my plan for my electric brewery. I was thinking a 240V heating element in the boil kettle, and just a 120V 1500W in the HLT.

I have found that it takes 3000w to get to strike temps in under an hour. One of my elements died so I started heating up the strike water for my second brew today at the same time I was heating the water for the first brew. It took forever to get 10 gallons up to 170. maybe almost two hours? It would never get to a boil.

My other heater it 5500w and gets to 170 in 15-20 minutes. If I had to start over, I would have a 5500w and a 1500w element in the HLT, and a 5500w element in the boil kettle. Obviosly you wouldn't be able to run them both on a 30a circuit, but one could heat up the HLT with the 240v 5500w and shut it off. Then you could hold the temp with your 1500w 120v element while running the boil kettle. That way, there would be less time waiting for water in a back to back brew day.

Awesome setup by the way! I think you will be happier with the added 120v element.
Brandt

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:36 pm

very nice system :D
BN Army corporal, southern command Louisiana
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Imakewort

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures