breweries along the rhine river in Europe

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:07 am

I leave this weekend for a European Rhine river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam and staying in Amsterdam for 3 days.. can anyone suggest any good breweries to visit while I'm there??
GravyBrew

Re: breweries along the rhine river in Europe

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:47 pm

The Rhine flows to Amsterdam?

Anyways, Cologne and Dusseldorf are both on the Rhine. There is plenty of Kolsch to be found in easy walking distance from the river--my favorite is Malzmuhle, on the south end of the city center. Peters, Sion, and Fruh are must-see (must-drink?) as well. The altstadt in Dusseldorf is the place to find a good altbier, though I am also partial to Schumacher, over close to the train station.
siwelwerd

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Don't think there's any breweries there. But the stein shop in St Goar is pretty awesome. The same town has a castle which offers self guided tours. Though that probably isn't too rare in that part of the world.
whoateallthepies

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:24 am

siwelwerd wrote:The Rhine flows to Amsterdam?

Anyways, Cologne and Dusseldorf are both on the Rhine. There is plenty of Kolsch to be found in easy walking distance from the river--my favorite is Malzmuhle, on the south end of the city center. Peters, Sion, and Fruh are must-see (must-drink?) as well. The altstadt in Dusseldorf is the place to find a good altbier, though I am also partial to Schumacher, over close to the train station.

This ^^^^^ is an informed post. The only addition I would make is to head to the altstadt in Koeln (Cologne) and drink in the Gaeffel House. Gaeffel Koelsch is my personal fav. I would also *very highly* suggest crossing the square from the Gaeffel House and heading into St. Peter's Gasthouse. Order the hot stone and prepare to have the finest meal you will ever cook at a restaurant table. Some of the best food I had in Koeln was there.

I'd pick up some canned Koelsch, handle it well and bring it home as an inspiration for your brewing. Few have had a fresh version of the real thing.

~widget
Buttwidget

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks guys!! All noted!! Hope the old lady has stuff to keep her busy cause I know what I'll be doing!! I'll let you know how it goes!!

Thanks again!!
GravyBrew

Return to Travel