Saison recipe batch size?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 am

Just listened to the Saison show, and Jamil doesn't mention the batch size.

Is it 5.5 gallons?

Also, anyone have any experience with Wyeast French Saison 3711? Do I need to adjust any of JZ's fermentation advice with this strain?
elproducto

Re: Saison recipe batch size?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 am

all the CYBI shows are based on 6 gallons at the end of the boil and I believe 70% eff (though may be 75%) can't remember off the top of my head
Stinkfist

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:38 am

3711 is a champ. Easy to use, very very well attenuating. You don't even have to ramp the temp up that much. I've used it at mid 70's and had no trouble. Using the 3724 is where you can run into problems, but will be well rewarded...
dougriddle

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:04 pm

elproducto wrote:Just listened to the Saison show, and Jamil doesn't mention the batch size.

Is it 5.5 gallons?

Also, anyone have any experience with Wyeast French Saison 3711? Do I need to adjust any of JZ's fermentation advice with this strain?

3711 is probably one of the most attenuative strains I have ever brewed with. I prefer the 3724 by far for its rustic character when fermented well. If you are going to use this yeast with Jamil's recipe, I would recommend not using the 1# of sugar, and mashing higher than 147F (which I believe he call's for). I would shoot for a 152-154 depending on how your system works. That should put you in the ballpark of JZ's saison FG. Just my 2 cents for the day.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:00 am

Awesome.. thanks all.

I heard 3711 is a beast, that's why I grabbed it.

Thinking of doing a 10 gallon batch, and would like to funk up 6 gallons with some brett or something. Any tips on how/when to do this?
elproducto

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:34 pm

If using 3711 I would mash fairly high, say around 156-158F for your 6 gallon batch only. Ferment it for about 7 days on the 3711 to get your classic saison character from the primary yeast. Then rack it to a carboy and add a packet of WY Brett B or L and let it age for anywhere from 4-6 mos. I have found that cooler temps seem to be traditional in flavor and aroma which I enjoy more using Brett. Temps in the low 60's seem to have a good trade-off between time waiting and flavor/aroma production.

On my latest dark saison I have left the brett (Brux) in my keg with the saison in my basement which hovers around 50 degrees and I am enjoying the character even more than at warmer temps. The brett is a tad more subtle and in the background than it is using higher secondary temps.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?