Re: FW UJ IPA CYBI

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:40 am

i brewed this puppy last saturday, on a tight schedule as i brewed it for an occasion, have to go grain to glass in 3 weeks. i wish i had an extra week but if i really drive the fermentation i think i can churn it out. glad to hear yours turned out well.
PFC BN Army - 43rd Battalion Mashing Squadron
beltbuckle

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:43 am

mb2696 wrote:did tasty say how long he did his 2nd dry hop?

maybe they covered it in the show but i can't seem to find it...

Just in case anyone else was wondering, Tasty confirmed that the 2nd dry hop was 3 days as well...
mb2696

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:05 pm

I brewed this last week and it's in primary now. Raised to 19C after 36 hours or so.

My question is related to this specific batch, but in general as well.

Tasty says he generally starts his dry hopping "within 1/2 a degree plato of terminal gravity". My OG on this came in a touch high at 1.077. It seems to me, knowing what the finishing gravity (both on this and in general) would be difficult to figure out. I don't know what my attenuation is going to be with a given pitch of yeast. I know what the "target" finish is for this brew, but what if the yeast decide to do a better job? Do I shoot for the first charge of dry hops based on the targeted finishing gravity? And as time goes on, if I see I'm going to attenuate below the target, crash cool it to stop? Or just let it go until it stops?

Thanks all. Looking forward to this one.
mthhurley

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:08 am

mthhurley wrote:I brewed this last week and it's in primary now. Raised to 19C after 36 hours or so.

My question is related to this specific batch, but in general as well.

Tasty says he generally starts his dry hopping "within 1/2 a degree plato of terminal gravity". My OG on this came in a touch high at 1.077. It seems to me, knowing what the finishing gravity (both on this and in general) would be difficult to figure out. I don't know what my attenuation is going to be with a given pitch of yeast. I know what the "target" finish is for this brew, but what if the yeast decide to do a better job? Do I shoot for the first charge of dry hops based on the targeted finishing gravity? And as time goes on, if I see I'm going to attenuate below the target, crash cool it to stop? Or just let it go until it stops?

Thanks all. Looking forward to this one.

I threw mine in when the airlock slowed greatly (maybe ~1 a minute or so), which turned out to be a few points before FG. I don't think timing is critical, just get them in at the tail end of fermentation while there is still a little activity going on.

And never crash cool to stop - that's one of the worst things you could do. Slight over-attenuation is better than diacetyl and/or acetaldehyde IMO.
mb2696

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 am

Performing a fast ferment test is the best way to know when you are getting close to terminal gravity.
Hoser
Hoser

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:25 pm

UJ finishes at about 3.2P and usually gets dry hopped for the first time on day 5, with cascade and centennial, then again three days later with (usually) amarillo, simcoe, and chinook. gets crashed three days after that. Ctz and citra have also been included in the second dry hop at times.
SamGamgee

Previous

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?