Extract version of Levitation

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:29 pm

I was thinking of doing the extract version of this to save on time on my next brew day, however on the show the crew talks about the unique mouthfeel produced by the high mash temp. I can't get this beer here in MT so was wondering if doing this beer AG would be worth the extra time to get that mouthfeel?

Thanks
Main Entry: zymurgist
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a scientist who studies the chemical process of fermentation in brewing and distilling; also, by extension, a brewer
Pharmbrewer

Re: Extract version of Levitation

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:47 am

It probably would be closer to the Levitation if you did all grain, just for the extra control, but if you only had time to do an extract version I'd go for it. Better to brew something close than nothing at all.
:bnarmy: CORPORAL BN ARMY :bnarmy:
“You’re not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.” — Dean Martin
bigdan

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 am

I'd try converting it to partial mash without doing any grain adjustments and see where you end up on your F.G. You could possibly look for an extract with less fermentability. If your beer is too dry, you could supplement with a little carapils next time.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the all grain version, doing a partial mash would not save me that much time and I think I can free up enough time. The real deciding factor will be how much the price of hops has come down with new crop finnally getting to my LHBS. Paying $7-$8 for 2 oz of hops will really run the price of your brew up on a beer like this. Still it beats paying $10 for a sixer.
Main Entry: zymurgist
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a scientist who studies the chemical process of fermentation in brewing and distilling; also, by extension, a brewer
Pharmbrewer

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:45 pm

What if I need to ignore your advice and do it as a straight extract brew. Can someone help me out with the conversion?
Cheers.
Private First Class, Northeast Division
NewEnglander

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 pm

You can always throw in a cup of Maltodextrin powder to boost the mouth feel in an extract batch.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Dumbass question: do 90 minute boils only apply to all grain brews or should I do 90 min. instead of 60 for an extract batch?
Private First Class, Northeast Division
NewEnglander

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:53 pm

No need to do a 90 min boil for extract. In fact, you should consider doing the "extract late" method, particulaly if you are doing partial boils.

Just set your hop calcs appropriately to compensate for the higher utilization.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?