Re: CYBI - dead guy ale?

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:49 am

Finally got this brewed Sunday night. First time I've actually hit my numbers, well overshot by .001 but that's close enough for me.

Anyway, I went to Rogue's website afterward to look at the IBU's they list and such and their ingredients don't really match what the CYBI recipe has. Puzzling as to why the guys didn't just use what they list on the website.
On Tap:
1. Black as Coal Stout
2. Yellow Snow Pils
3. Smivey Brown Christmas Ale
4. Blueberry Pie Blonde

Secondary: empty
Primary: Doo Doo Brown Ale

on the horizon: undetermined
balvey

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:03 am

balvey wrote:Finally got this brewed Sunday night. First time I've actually hit my numbers, well overshot by .001 but that's close enough for me.

Anyway, I went to Rogue's website afterward to look at the IBU's they list and such and their ingredients don't really match what the CYBI recipe has. Puzzling as to why the guys didn't just use what they list on the website.

What doesn't match on the ingredients? The IBUs are almost always different since they use the rager algorithm and rogue likely uses actual IBUs from a lab test.
PFC BN Army - 43rd Battalion Mashing Squadron
beltbuckle

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:52 am

beltbuckle wrote:
balvey wrote:Finally got this brewed Sunday night. First time I've actually hit my numbers, well overshot by .001 but that's close enough for me.

What doesn't match on the ingredients? The IBUs are almost always different since they use the rager algorithm and rogue likely uses actual IBUs from a lab test.

the ingredients themselves.

as for grains the show just listed Pale 2row, Munich, and Xtal 15. and for hops it was perle & sterling.

The rogue website lists:
8 Ingredients:

Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.

Hops: Perle and Saaz.

Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.
On Tap:
1. Black as Coal Stout
2. Yellow Snow Pils
4. Blueberry Pie Blonde

balvey

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 am

Northwest Harrington, Klages = 2 row
Maier Munich = Munich
Carastan = C13-17 (C15 obviously an appropriate sub)

Not sure what your issue is? I suppose Carastan would be a better choice, but John Maier, the Rogue Brewmaster, actually says in the interview that they are using C15...
mgo737

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:33 pm

mgo737 wrote:Northwest Harrington, Klages = 2 row
Maier Munich = Munich

Not sure what your issue is? I suppose Carastan would be a better choice, but John Maier, the Rogue Brewmaster, actually says in the interview that they are using C15...

I don't have an issue, just questioning why they didn't just copy the recipe from the site when it's readily available. Not sure how much difference there is between Saaz & Sterling either but that was the other difference. I'm sure it'll be a great brew regardless.
On Tap:
1. Black as Coal Stout
2. Yellow Snow Pils
4. Blueberry Pie Blonde

balvey

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:14 pm

balvey wrote:
mgo737 wrote:Northwest Harrington, Klages = 2 row
Maier Munich = Munich

I don't have an issue, just questioning why they didn't just copy the recipe from the site when it's readily available. Not sure how much difference there is between Saaz & Sterling either but that was the other difference. I'm sure it'll be a great brew regardless.

because if you go to your local brew store and ask for Northwest Harrington and Klages malt, they won't know what the heck you are talking about. In reality it is Great Western 2-row. Same with "Free Range Coastal Water"... Rogue makes their beer descriptions a little... creative.
beltbuckle

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:16 am

rogue classifies this as a Maibock. I was considering entering it in a comp as an APA. What categories would you enter it under?
On Tap:
1. Black as Coal Stout
2. Yellow Snow Pils
4. Blueberry Pie Blonde

balvey

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 am

I think it's closer to an APA than a Maibock, but I'm not sure it fits in either well. A Maibock should be mostly pils malt so that kind of rules it out. Anyone with more experience have an opinion on where it could be placed?
beltbuckle

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?