961 Beer and Mazen Hajjar

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:14 pm

This was the most fun I've had listening in a while. Not only did Mazen have lots of unique and interesting beer/brewing info, but he also helped cleanse the palette of my world perspective by showing me how distorted my perception of Lebanon was. I like to think of myself as well-read and aware, but I realized during the interview that everything I know about Lebanon was learned 22 years ago in a 5th grade social studies class.

The picture that Mr. Hajjar painted of Muslims, Christians, and "pretty-much atheists" all identifying themselves as "Lebanese first" could be held up as a rubric to which the people in my local community ought to aspire. There is so much tension in central MN between a largely Muslim immigrant population and a largely evangelical Christian community that I rarely look through a local newspaper without reading an account of violence committed by one side against the other.

I know it was a joke question, and I laughed when I heard it, but when asked "who drinks more, the Christian or the Muslims?" Mr Hajjar dismissed the question. Not because he was offended, or a prude. It just wasn't answerable. Before they allow any doctrine or establishment divide them, they are united as Lebanese.

I know it's early, but this guy has my vote for guest of the year. He removed one of my blind spots. And he inspired me to brew beer that features ingredients unique to my region. And he was funny.

And God bless Evil Sam.....
Be Excellent To Each Other...
Fierce Beard

Re: 961 Beer and Mazen Hajjar

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:15 pm

You know I think that beer, my favorite social lubricant, is a great way to break boundaries. I realize that in this messed up world where "my god is better than your god" arguments prevail and the underlying "love your fellow human" messages of all religions are lost, beer can act as bridge for good.

I do not want to dramatize or simplify the whole thing, I mean beer is still amazing on its own. And I would certainly not want to speak on behalf of all Lebanese and paint a lovey dovey picture, but I would like to believe if enough of us pushed tolerance and a deeper understanding of the other, we would all be better off. We are all different, have always been, and will always be and that is the greatest thing about us humans. Like what makes beer and food so exciting is diversity, the same applier to humans. It is simply a question of understanding and accepting.

I am a bit of a tree hugging hippy, but I would like to think if you look for the best in people, you will find it, and if you look for the worst do not be surprised to also find that.

But hey, at least beer makes that journey more fun, and gives us a great topic to discuss while we enjoy one. Most importantly its a fucking cool thing to make and enjoyable all the way from start to finish.
mazenhajjar

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 am

Fierce Beard wrote:I know it's early, but this guy has my vote for guest of the year. He removed one of my blind spots. And he inspired me to brew beer that features ingredients unique to my region. And he was funny.

I'm only half way through the archive, but I agree, Mazen does a damn good interview. Certainly one of the most energetic, informative, funny and enthusiastic brewers that have been on the show. And I think he'd fit in just fine guest hosting on That Other Show. :unicornrainbow:

Mazen, if you ever find yourself in the San Francisco area, it'd be awesome to have you back for another show with you where you could be in studio with the BN guys!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 am

I am regularly in SF.

I love the place.

I will for sure let you know.
mazenhajjar

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:15 am

Bravo, Mazen - great interview - loved it.

Bravo, Brewcasters - superb show... I'm always bent double laughing with 'Sam' calls in from his SR71 Blackhawk. Funniest gag ever.
bellebouche

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:51 pm

mazenhajjar wrote:I am regularly in SF.

I love the place.

I will for sure let you know.

Mazen, you would be a BRILLIANT in-studio guest. I hope that you're able to get to the Rat Pad someday.
Be Excellent To Each Other...
Fierce Beard

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Fierce Beard wrote:This was the most fun I've had listening in a while.

I have to agree, it was the best interview since Cantillon.
Thanks Mazen!
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Agree with all the sentiments expressed in this thread. It was an entertaining show with plenty of BIER INFORMACION!

The Lebanese have a strong presence here in Australia, especially in Sydney. Often they are painted in the media as a bad group because of the wrong-doings of a minute portion of their number. I work with a couple of guys of Lebanese heritage and they are great guys. Strong family men, passionate about their sporting teams, and now, proud Australians.

Mazen, are there any plans to ship 961 beer to Sydney?
whoateallthepies

Next

Return to The Sunday Session