Cascades for beginners?

Thu May 15, 2008 7:28 am

From what I can tell, Cascade seems like a good bet for someone with no experience. Is this right, and are there others? FYI, where I live, the weather tends to be hot and dry.
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake

1 Timothy 5:23
Cosmic Charlie

Thu May 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Apparently they are supposed to be one of the most non-finicky varieties. I hear the first year bine sucks, but after that it is great...

This is my first year growing and my Cascades are looking wimpy... but growing!
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Fri May 16, 2008 3:53 am

I planted a Cascade late in the season last year, and one this spring. Last years is doing great, its got three shoots that are over a foot already. I trimmed back a few smaller shoots, and I'm waiting to see which of the three remaining take to the trellis better before trimming it down to two. The new Cascade has about 10 shoots that are between 1"-4".

I wasn't expecting a lot from either this year, but they both seem to be doing fairly well.
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:08 am

Last year my cascades didnt do too much. They were first year, and we had a real dry summer. They died.

Bought some new ones this year and took loving care of them. Then the rabbits came and ate the shoots off. But they grew back and now are a foot high, here in Central Ohio
Bhodi Li

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:46 am

Cascades kick ass. I am harvesting already here in NC.
halucin8

Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:06 am

halucin8 wrote:Cascades kick ass. I am harvesting already here in NC.

Well you suck! But Cascades don't.

The rhizome I planted last September is about 7-8 feet high, and I'll probably get a few ounces of hops this year. They're just cute little tiny things starting to form. The rhizome I planted this year finally took off, and its 4-5 feet high.

I also planted a Fuggles and Goldings, which are both 5-6 feet high, and doing really well. They keep shooting off side runners that I have to keep in check so they don't intermix.

I think I should get a few ounces from each of the four bines this year.
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Return to Homegrown