Re: 100% homegrown

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:56 am

Wheat,
It's really a thing of beauty. I can't believe how fast it works.

Did you try malting the grain it threshed -- and did most of them grow? I am trying to get a feel for what level of torture the grains can take and still germinate properly.
drummstikk

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Yes. I had mixed results until I got it down. I found a youtube video about building a malt turner. It seems to work much easier than doing it by hand. I am definetly going to build one. I have a neighbor with a commercial dehydrator and that was awesome for base malt. 100 to 160 degree settings. My home built smoker out of a old refrigerator has a digital controller on it that I plan on using for specialty malts.
Wheatwarden

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:30 am

I don't think the predation is happening any more. Every plant I see that has been chomped has damage to the first and second leaves, but the second leaf is always longer.

In normal plant growth, the first leaf grows quickly, then slows down as the second leaf grows. So either the predators always eat the first leaf down further (unlikely), or all this chomping happened in the past.

If the predation were still occuring, I would expect to see some plants with both leaves eaten down to the same extent, and I don't. That's good news!

I still don't know what caused it, so I'll leave the netting up for now.

Most of the Conlon in the middle plot, which was seeded at 2x density and is in partial shade, is at the 2-3 leaf stage:

But in the lower plot, which has 1 x Conlon density and far more sunshine, some plants are farther along,

like this guy that has three leaves, a coleoptillar tiller, a leaf-1 tiller, and what may be the prophyll of a leaf-2 tiller.

Overall, the plants are taller than they were last week

but growth seems to be happening slowly. It is December after all, so you can expect growth to be slow. But how do you know if growth is slow because of the temps, or if there's another, more fixable cause?

There is a heuristic that farmers use to evaluate and predict the growth of crops called Growth Degree Days. GDD is just the time-integral of temperature, and not surprisingly, it has units of Degree*Day. It's usually expressed in Fahrenheit in the States, and it's calculated by taking the average of the high and low temperatures for a day, subtracting a baseline temp (usually 5.5C or 40F for barley), then summing up the adjusted mean for each day in a period.

For example, the GDD for barley yesterday in Palo Alto was (60F + 42F)/2 - 40F = 11, and for the past two days the GDD was 11 + (55F + 32F)/2 - 40 = 14.5

In practice, just use this calculator to make things easy.

All other things being equal, GDD is roughly proportional to the developmental progress of plants. So you can compare the progress of plants grown in different climates and at different times of year by checking how far along they are with respect to their GDD. If they're behind where they should be, this helps you identify water, disease, or nutrient stress.

I can compare my progress to Merit, another malting barley variety. Merit had 2 leaves at 177 GDD since emergence, and 3 leaves plus tillers at 277.5 GDD. I'm not really sure when my plants emerged since it happened over the Thanksgiving weekend, so I'll say it was Dec 1, the first day I saw them above ground. Then, I've had 168 GDD since emergence.

It has taken me 3 weeks for the slower Conlon plants in the middle plot to match the progress that Merit made in 9 days, but my GDD (168) is about the same as Merit's GDD (177) at the 2 leaf stage. The Conlon in the sunnier lower plot and the bere seem to be closer to the stage Merit achieved after 277 GDD.

So even though the plants are growing slowly, they're well on track given the cold temperatures we've had. At least it isn't frosting hard at night!
drummstikk

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:51 am

Oops, it turns out that when calculating GDD, temperatures below the baseline do not count as negative GDD. Any temps below 40F are just set to 40F. In the example I gave, the GDD for the past 2 days should be 11 + (55F + 40F)/2 - 40F = 18.5
drummstikk

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Upon the advice of fifelee over on HBT, I picked up some Lawn Weed Killer from Orchard Supply -- it's a mixture of 2,4-D, mecoprop, and dicamba, all herbicides that target dicots and spare the grasses. I sprayed a test strip yesterday after the irrigation system did its job.

It definitely didn't harm the barley, but I can't say it affected the weeds either. I think here's why: all those herbicides rely on plant growth to work, and it only got up to 59F today. Highs in the upper 50's through the weekend too. Hmm, I hope it remains in the soil long enough for the weeds to do some growth and die.

Like Fife pointed out, most manufacturers advise waiting until plants are tillering before applying herbicides, so I just put it on the sunniest plot, where the plants started tillering in earnest last week.

Tomorrow, I'm going home to Colorado for a week to see the folks. (They have an acre out back that's lying fallow. What a shame!)

Happy holidays everybody!
drummstikk

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:26 am

Vegetative growth is coming along! But, the lawn weed killer didn't really work

probably because the weather has been too cold.

Caterpillar/squirrels are still at work:

although the fraction of plants affected is tiny, and I'm not putting up any more netting.

Most Conlon and Bere plants have multiple tillers, which is very nice to see.

Here's how the numbering system works: Single digits are the leaves of the main shoot. So "4" = leaf 4 of the primary plant. T indicates tillers, the first number after T indicates which tiller, and the number after the dash is the leaf number within the tiller. So T0-2 is the second leaf of the coleoptillar tiller, and T1-1 is the first leaf of the tiller that emerged from the axil (the armpit) of the first primary leaf. P indicates prophyll, and the number indicates the tiller the prophyll belongs to.

The previous image is of the slower Conlon plants (seeded at 24 seeds/ft), while this image is of the less-densely-seeded Conlon (12 seeds/ft)

The less-dense Conlon is still one leaf ahead (5 vs 4 fully-developed leaves), and the T1 and T2 tillers are each one leaf ahead as well! It's pretty interesting how the development is happening like clockwork.

The slower Conlon is at the same stage Merit was at 360 GDD. There have been 306 Growing Degree Days since December 1st, so I'm on track, if not slightly ahead.

The less-dense Conlon is one leaf ahead -- it's at the same stage that Merit was after 434 GDD! It's hard to know if seeding density is causing the difference in developmental rate, because the less-densely-seeded plot also gets more sunlight. Suffice to say that the same seeds planted at the same time can be hundreds of GDD apart from each other in development due to differences in environment.

Tillers can be aborted, and I don't want to count my heads before they hatch. But each tiller that forms is one more potential head of grain, so keep 'em coming!

Anybody else have 2,4-D, mecoprop, or dicamba fail to work in cold weather? (below 50F)
drummstikk

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:44 am

Lots of damage from predation now! About every other plant has at least one leaf clipped, and some have every leaf clipped!

I was wondering again what could be causing it, when yesterday I saw the farm's flock of guinea fowl walking through the field and pecking at the leaves. Sure enough, they were ripping off the leaf tops!

Not sure what to do. I could net the whole field, but the barley will soon begin to elongate, growing up above the net height.

Thinking of putting a fence around the perimeter -- the guineas can easily fly over anything up to 20-30 feet, but it may deter them, especially if I attach some sort of metal (pie pans?) at intervals that will blow in the breeze and make noise. There is plenty more field with a cover crop for them to peck at -- all I need to do is make my field the least attractive of their options.

The only upside to this is that with the guineas around, I can relax a bit about aphids carrying yellow dwarf virus. Those birds should devour insects.

403 GDD so far, and the plants are at 5-6 leaves with 2-3 tillers typical. Still right on / slightly ahead of Merit's schedule. U Idaho blog states that now is the time maximum kernel number will be determined for the main shoot in the 5-leaf plants, and in the tillers for the 6-leaf plants. I hope the predation doesn't affect the plants' decision negatively.
Last edited by drummstikk on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drummstikk

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 am

If the guinea fowl are causing more harm than good you might try a couple of lg decoy owls on posts, one in each side of the field. Then, maybe introduce lady bugs to control the aphids. Just a thought.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown