Hermaphrodite hops plant??

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:38 am

Hi everyone, I have a small hops yard that I've been filling up for the past 3 years, I have about 18 varieties of hops and am looking to expand the yard to 4-5 times what it is now over the next year to hopefully produce enough to sell to local homebrewers and/or microbreweries.

I have a Northern Brewer hill that I put in this spring and am pretty sure the hops bine is hermaphrodite-- the bine has cones on it and also "male looking" ball things as well-- you can google "hermaphrodite marijuana" to see a picture of, hops hermies look almost exactly like pot hermies.

I'm wondering what to do with this plant. I've read that they will sometime hermie out if they're stressed. It's been a hot summer here and I'm still building my irrigation system so I know the plants are water stressed. I also picked some hops the other day and found tiny black specks falling out of the cones that look about like poppy seeds-- are these hops seeds in my cones? Can I still brew with these hops or will these seeds (if that's what they are) be a problem?

Any thoughts around this plant would be appreciated. It's only a year old so if it needs to be yanked, I can just order more rhizomes this winter and replant next spring. Thanks for your time and help everyone.
wendallsan

Re: Hermaphrodite hops plant??

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm

I think you are right -- hops will herm out if they are stressed, and certain varieties (especially CTZ) are more prone to it than others. You're seeing seeds in some hops, and personally I wouldn't worry about the seeds -- just go ahead and use your hops anyway, seeds and all -- my bet is everything will be just fine. You can yank them out and replant as you've suggested, unless these were something like CTZ where maybe you're just plain stuck with the hermaphroditic plant even if you replant because they're so prone to it.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Hermies happen, just like JP. :unicornrainbow:

The Fool.
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:53 am

Hops yard is now wired up for irrigation, hopefully that will de-stress my hops plants. I think I'll leave the hermie in the ground this year, and if it does it again next year (with irrigation all summer long), then I'll pull it. Glad to hear that seeds in my hops won't make it unusable! Thanks again everyone for the help.
wendallsan

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:25 am

The English used seeded hops for centuries.
Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Ambrose Bierce
Ironman

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Ironman wrote:The English used seeded hops for centuries.

yes a lot of english think seeded hops are better
"It's really easy to make shitty beer."
jwatkins56550

Return to Homegrown