Lawn service killed my hops!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2011 1:38 pm

My f$&@ing lawn service hired a new guy who sprayed my hop mounds...even though I told them not to. The vines have all wilted and turned brown in 24 hours. Should I just clip those any pray for new shoots to grow or do you think the rhizomes are shot. I was just bragging about my beautiful healthy centennial vines. And then this bs. Any advice?
KC Contin

Re: Lawn service killed my hops!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Roundup and similar weed killers are sprayed on the leaves of plants so the poison can be carried to the roots, killing the plant completely so no new growth can occur. Your hops are probably toast. I would dig then up and then till the soil a couple of times between now and when you replant. This will expose the herbicide in the soil to light and air and quicken its decomposition.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Fri May 20, 2011 4:09 pm

AND... I would charge the idiot the cost of replacing them.
Three words to describe me: brew, blues and blood.
brewmcq

Fri May 20, 2011 5:29 pm

I heard JP say that NIKOBREW.com still has rhizomes... I checked it out and they are a steal... Better check it out soon!

:jnj
Josh
Jbug

Sat May 21, 2011 2:26 pm

The owner of my lawn guys came by today to apologize. Offered to pay for new rhizomes. Thanks for the tip on nikobrew. Just ordered replacement rhizomes. I'll just have to start over.

I'm over it now. 85 degrees and sunny. Brewed my Black IPA today..ChewBlacca. Put down about 8 pints of my amber and belgian white. Hit my O.G spot on 1.077. Can't be mad with the smell of centennial and amarillo in the air!!
Bloody Marsh Brew Works
on tap: Bloody Marsh Amber, Tang (Belgian Wit), Chewblacca CDA
In Fermentor: James Honey Pale Ale
KC Contin

Sun May 22, 2011 7:14 am

:jnj
Three words to describe me: brew, blues and blood.
brewmcq

Return to Homegrown