Re: The Hop Farm Is Up

Tue May 25, 2010 10:32 am

Moloko520 wrote:Hi Mike. I'm new to this forum. Actually, this is my first post. I bought some hops rhizomes this year with the intention of getting a farm going.

Most of my rhizomes have budded, and I'm coming up with a plan to go to our land and start a hops farm.

I'm starting with only five plants, this year. If they survive the climate, environment, insects etc. of Southern Illinois, I'm going to go all out and plant maybe 2 full acres.

My problem is that I live 4 hours away from where the actual farm will be. So my question is: How much will I need to be out there, checking the hops, trimming back the first year's shoots, cleaning out weeds? My goal is to go out maybe once a month to check on them. What do you think?

To be completely frank, I am not sure. You have a few factors to keep in mind. The main thing I think that attributes to weeds is the land your using. Was it grass land before or was it already a garden? If its all ready a garden the weeds situation should be fine for a once a month thing. As for cutting them back, I'm again not 100% sure. They will spring up really quickly and catch ya off guard. You may want to make an extra trip out to check on them.

I'm helping my friend with his farm. Hoping to learn a lot along the way, so I can keep ya posted if you like as to how things are going. I really need to get out there again this weekend or something. Its been a while.

In the mean time, here is a book that is on my personal list of literature to read on this subject. Maybe it will help you. If so, let me know!

The Complete Guide to Growing Your Own Hops, Malts, and Brewing Herbs: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply (Back-To-Basics)
mikebiewer

Tue May 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks Mike. That book hasn't been released yet, but I just bought a similar title, "Homebrewer's Garden," thanks to your suggestion.

I'll let you know how things are going for me too. I'm going down this weekend to build the a Maypole-like contraption for my little bines to grow.
Moloko520

Wed May 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Awesome!

For sure keep me informed. I'm hoping to head down to the farm soon as well and post an update of how our field is coming!

Good luck!
mikebiewer

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:11 pm

UPDATE: June 2010

Here is an update of my hops farm. Things are coming in, but we are dealing with some crazy ass thistles. Check it out.

Hops Farm Update June 2010
mikebiewer

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:43 pm

mikebiewer wrote:
Moloko520 wrote:Hi Mike. I'm new to this forum. Actually, this is my first post. I bought some hops rhizomes this year with the intention of getting a farm going.

Most of my rhizomes have budded, and I'm coming up with a plan to go to our land and start a hops farm.

I'm starting with only five plants, this year. If they survive the climate, environment, insects etc. of Southern Illinois, I'm going to go all out and plant maybe 2 full acres.

My problem is that I live 4 hours away from where the actual farm will be. So my question is: How much will I need to be out there, checking the hops, trimming back the first year's shoots, cleaning out weeds? My goal is to go out maybe once a month to check on them. What do you think?

To be completely frank, I am not sure. You have a few factors to keep in mind. The main thing I think that attributes to weeds is the land your using. Was it grass land before or was it already a garden? If its all ready a garden the weeds situation should be fine for a once a month thing. As for cutting them back, I'm again not 100% sure. They will spring up really quickly and catch ya off guard. You may want to make an extra trip out to check on them.

I'm helping my friend with his farm. Hoping to learn a lot along the way, so I can keep ya posted if you like as to how things are going. I really need to get out there again this weekend or something. Its been a while.

In the mean time, here is a book that is on my personal list of literature to read on this subject. Maybe it will help you. If so, let me know!

The Complete Guide to Growing Your Own Hops, Malts, and Brewing Herbs: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply (Back-To-Basics)

I just thought I'd add to this a little...

I'm in a similar situation, living about 2 hours from my hops, so I only get there once or twice a month. I'm in my 3rd year now, and here's what I've learned...

If it was a well weeded farm before, then weeds won't be a huge problem once a month, but will still be a problem. With just 5 plants, you won't have to spend too much time weeding, but you'll still need to do it. If it wasn't a farm plot before, or is too close to some untamed growth, then I pray for your plants!

In year two, the biggest problem you're going to have isn't weeds, it's cutting new growth from the hops. Once the root system is well established, they'll be putting up shoots like crazy. I've been to my farm twice this season. I have about 25 plants (down from the original 30, lost 2 in year two, and all 3 Zeus seem to be a casualty this year) and on the first visit the majority of the time was spent weeding, then we strung lines. I culled about 40 shoots then. Two weeks ago I made my second visit. The weeding took only about 30 minutes, but the shoot culling took 2 hours. I cut well over 200 shoots! :shock: If you don't limit the amount of bines, you're just not going to get enough hops.

Of course ample water in the long stretches of dry summer can be a problem as well. If you're in a low rainfall area, or there's a serious drought, you might be in trouble.

Finally, come harvest time, the biggest problem is that not all of the hops will be ready at the same time. I have to slot myself 2 or even 3 weekends in a month in the fall to go out and do harvesting. If you're only going once a month for the growing season, plan on going twice for harvesting, even if you've only got 2 plants.

I've lost bines due to line breaks, but they grew back. Early in the season I've got a mystery little black bug that likes to dine on the new, soft leaves, but they are gone after a month, and fortunately no other insects are interested in them. No hop-loving molds, and pretty rich soil, so not much to do. Despite our feeble efforts to take care of them, remember that they're really weeds, and they want to live. Just a little care can get you some good rewards.
jasonktoo

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:15 am

Thanks man!

I was going to head out there this weekend, but alas it is raining again... I really think we've cut off more than we can manage between a couple of dudes. The weeding is terrible. It was turned into farmland last year and it is near natural prairie. So it sucks. As for the bines. I was noticing bines growing a couple feet away from the actual plant. I am familiar with the idea of cutting bines back, but I've never done nor seen it done and have yet to read a book. I'm pretty blind here, just going with the flow right now.

Do you have any suggestions for bine cutting that you would be willing to share with me?

Thanks
mikebiewer

Previous

Return to Homegrown