New grower and hops sat at post office for two weeks. HELP!!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:45 pm

I always over do stuff so I ordered 14 rhizomes to start my hop garden. I was mucho excited and was hoping to get them at the beginning of March. I order on the 6th and waited and waited and waited. NO hops as of last Friday :( . I emailed the seller and they say plants went out on the 9th and should have been there on the 12th :shock: . I race to the post office and what do you know, they have been there for two weeks :evil: . Apparently it is too much for them to check for two packages. They say that there is nothing they can do and I should contact the seller. :shock:

There is still moisture in the bags and all but one of the rhizomes have shoots about 1 to 3 inches long. I spent the last two days prepping the beds.

Help. Is it too late or should they survive. If so I will be reordering my set of plants. What do I need to do to give them the best chance of making it. :roll:
Drinking
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (Clone, Bottled)

Fermenting
Albino Trout Ale
Dumbass Dunkleweizen

Up Next
Sol Cal Stout
? First all grain batch, Maybe
headcase.brewing

Re: New grower and hops sat at post office for two weeks. HELP!!

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Update: Talked to Freshops and they said to give them a bath in a diluted bleach solution and wash with a paint brush. Any suggestions on the bleach to water ratio?
Drinking
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (Clone, Bottled)

Fermenting
Albino Trout Ale
Dumbass Dunkleweizen

Up Next
Sol Cal Stout
? First all grain batch, Maybe
headcase.brewing

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I had a couple of longer shoots on my rhyzomes when I got them. They ended up in my fridge for 2 weeks while i waited on frost to go away. Potted them for 2 weeks to get started and just planted on Saturday. 2 of 4(the 2 with sprouts to begin with) are over 6 inches out of the ground the other 2 are sprouting up well now, 3-4 inches.
PFC BN Army Southeastern PA Division
http://www.barefootlionbrewing.blogspot.com
BarefootLion

Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 am

My Galena sat in a friends fridge for 3 weeks and then spent a few days in my until I could get them planted. By the time I got them both had sprouts over 3" long. After two weeks in the ground I have 2 bines per plant that are approaching 6" tall. I wouldn't worry too much.

Pikeman94
pikeman94

Return to Homegrown