Re: Citra Hops

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Evan Burck wrote:This beer (or my taste buds) just can't make up its mind. Took a bottle to my club last night, and it definitely had the citrus character. So yeah... I'm just adding confusion to this whole thing

LOVED it!

I would definitely have put Evan's pale ale around a 40-42 if it was in a comp.
Really nice beer- the Citra and Soriachi Ace played VERY well together.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM2 Judge
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:16 pm

BDawg wrote:
Evan Burck wrote:This beer (or my taste buds) just can't make up its mind. Took a bottle to my club last night, and it definitely had the citrus character. So yeah... I'm just adding confusion to this whole thing

LOVED it!

thank you for the kind words sir :bnarmy:
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 pm

Evan Burck wrote:
BDawg wrote:

LOVED it!

thank you for the kind words sir :bnarmy:

No problem- well deserved. Great beer.
Beers like these are what keeps me judging.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM2 Judge
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 am

Evan:

I have a question for you. I have just recently picked up some Citra and some Summit to give them both a try. I was considering a pale with Citra, Summit, and Simcoe. I have never tasted Summit, and have had Torpedo a few times, but can't really nail the full Citra taste from the couple times I have had. Do you think Citra and Summit would play well together, or would it be too much fruit and citrus notes?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness
Zen_Brew

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 am

Zen_Brew wrote:Evan:

I have a question for you. I have just recently picked up some Citra and some Summit to give them both a try. I was considering a pale with Citra, Summit, and Simcoe. I have never tasted Summit, and have had Torpedo a few times, but can't really nail the full Citra taste from the couple times I have had. Do you think Citra and Summit would play well together, or would it be too much fruit and citrus notes?

I personally couldn't imagine a summit/citra combo. I've only had one beer with Summit that I liked, and that's Black Raven's Totem Pale out here in Redmond. But he uses it very subtly. A Simcoe/Citra beer would work better I think; Bitter with Warrior or Magnum, then hop with a blend of Citra and Simcoe later on in the boil for aroma and flavor.
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:35 am

Evan Burck wrote:
Zen_Brew wrote:Evan:

I personally couldn't imagine a summit/citra combo. I've only had one beer with Summit that I liked, and that's Black Raven's Totem Pale out here in Redmond. But he uses it very subtly. A Simcoe/Citra beer would work better I think; Bitter with Warrior or Magnum, then hop with a blend of Citra and Simcoe later on in the boil for aroma and flavor.

I think you could get away with bittering with Summit without having it carry over into flavor too much. Doing this and then adding Citra & Simcoe as late additions would probably work out nicely. I do agree however that Summit & Citra used together as flavor/aroma additions probably wouldn't blend very well.
herbaljoe

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 am

TapItGood wrote:Dry hopped 1.5 oz of Citra pellets directly into the fermenter of a 9 day old Pale Ale yesterday. I'll leave it at 70 degress for 5 days, rack into a keg and dry hop 1 oz in the keg. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Cheers!

The hop schedule for the Pale Ale was as follows:

1 oz Galena 60 min.

.75 Columbus 20 min.
.75 Centenial 20 min.

1 oz Columbus 0 min.
1 oz Centenial 0 min.

Update on how this came out: I'm impressed with the aroma qualities of the Citra hop. It's got a nice rounded citrus aroma on it's own. It will be intresting to see how this blends with other hops. I'm going to try a Citra/Amarillo blend on my next IPA. Which will probably be soon, seeing how easy this one goes down! Cheers :asshat: 's
Enjoy Great Beer!

:bnarmy: San Diego Special OP's BN Army :bnarmy:
TapItGood

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Evan Burck wrote:A Simcoe/Citra beer would work better I think; Bitter with Warrior or Magnum, then hop with a blend of Citra and Simcoe later on in the boil for aroma and flavor.

+1

I have a split batch of pale ale. Dry hopped one with citra and the other with cascade. Cascade stands alone pretty well (not that I'll do that again), but citra (Hopstoyou '09 leaf) by itself gives a medium/strong lychee flavor. It needs to be balanced by another hop. Simcoe would work nicely. Other possibilities (IMVHO) are Columbus, Centenniel, Magnum and Amarillo.

My first batch of Torpedo using actual citra was underwhelming. Next time I'm going to double the dry hop for all varieties (magnum, crystal, citra) and see what happens.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown