Re: Citra Hops

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Charlie wrote:Other possibilities (IMVHO) are Columbus, Centenniel, Magnum and Amarillo.

If you can get your hands on some Sorachi Ace (Niko has em), try blending with that. Works wonderfully
BN Army :bnarmy:
User avatar
Evan B
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: Citra Hops

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Evan Burck wrote:I personally couldn't imagine a summit/citra combo. I've only had one beer with Summit that I liked, and that's Black Raven's Totem Pale out here in Redmond. But he uses it very subtly. A Simcoe/Citra beer would work better I think; Bitter with Warrior or Magnum, then hop with a blend of Citra and Simcoe later on in the boil for aroma and flavor.


Evan Burck wrote:If you can get your hands on some Sorachi Ace (Niko has em), try blending with that. Works wonderfully


Hindsight is 20/20. I got my Citra and Summit from Niko a week or two ago. I may stick a bit with my original thought of an APA with the Summit/Citra/Simcoe combo and mod it a bit. I was going to bitter with 1/2 ea Summit and Simcoe and use citra for flavor. I think I may stick with the summit/simcoe bittering and make the late additions 1/2 ea citra and amarillo.

I have not tried Black Ravens totem, but may have to give it a go to feel out the summit.. I work just a couple blocks from Black Raven and have been in there two or three times.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness
Zen_Brew
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Citra Hops

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Zen_Brew wrote:
Evan Burck wrote:I personally couldn't imagine a summit/citra combo. I've only had one beer with Summit that I liked, and that's Black Raven's Totem Pale out here in Redmond. But he uses it very subtly. A Simcoe/Citra beer would work better I think; Bitter with Warrior or Magnum, then hop with a blend of Citra and Simcoe later on in the boil for aroma and flavor.


Evan Burck wrote:If you can get your hands on some Sorachi Ace (Niko has em), try blending with that. Works wonderfully


Hindsight is 20/20. I got my Citra and Summit from Niko a week or two ago. I may stick a bit with my original thought of an APA with the Summit/Citra/Simcoe combo and mod it a bit. I was going to bitter with 1/2 ea Summit and Simcoe and use citra for flavor. I think I may stick with the summit/simcoe bittering and make the late additions 1/2 ea citra and amarillo.

I have not tried Black Ravens totem, but may have to give it a go to feel out the summit.. I work just a couple blocks from Black Raven and have been in there two or three times.

For a better idea of the Summit flavor, pick up a bottle of Green Flash Imperial IPA at Malt and Vine. I personally don't like the beer at all, but it gives a way better idea of Summit than the Black Raven Pale where the Summit is very in the background.
BN Army :bnarmy:
User avatar
Evan B
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: Citra Hops

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Not to waste any time I went over to Malt and Vine and grabbed a bottle on my dinner break for dinner. I didn't realize their IIPA would have such a different hop schedule to their IPA.
Wow.....bitter peach/apricot and orange for sure, and maybe a tad catty. It sort of lingers on the palate. You are correct, not a great flavor when used liberally. Might work in small amounts in a Belgian Wit. I'll figure something out. I bought a lb of them LOL. Go big or go home right. :pop

Thanx for the heads up on where to get a good sample. :jnj
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness
Zen_Brew
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Citra Hops

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Zen_Brew wrote:Not to waste any time I went over to Malt and Vine and grabbed a bottle on my dinner break for dinner. I didn't realize their IIPA would have such a different hop schedule to their IPA.
Wow.....bitter peach/apricot and orange for sure, and maybe a tad catty. It sort of lingers on the palate. You are correct, not a great flavor when used liberally. Might work in small amounts in a Belgian Wit. I'll figure something out. I bought a lb of them LOL. Go big or go home right. :pop

Thanx for the heads up on where to get a good sample. :jnj

Did you try the Black Raven Pale Ale while you were over here too? Awesome beer, but not very summit-y.

I'd stick to using the summits in other, non-citra beers. In fact, what I'd do is go talk to Beau and/or Andy at Black Raven. They use both Citra and Summits quite often, and know them better than I do, that's for sure.
BN Army :bnarmy:
User avatar
Evan B
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: Citra Hops

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:19 pm

My G/F reminded me that the last time I was at the Raven I bought a growler of the Pale ale. I remember now, I thought they must have added a bit of orange or apricot to the recipe and didn't think much else about it as I'm primarily an IPA drinker. SO I have had it and thought it was pretty decent.

I also went out and purchased a sixer of Widmer Drifter Pale ale today. It's not a bad Pale ale actually. The Summit is much more subtle in the Widmer product than the Green Flash IIPA (Duh). It is not entirely unpleasant, just seems like it needs to be paired with something to round out the bottom end some.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness
Zen_Brew
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Citra Hops

Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:39 am

This is my first time on this forum.

Thanks for posting your exp with Citra. I have a beer in primary that's was made with a FWH of Centennial/Amarillo then 60 Min: Warrior then a 10, 5, FO blend of centennial, Citra, Amarillo and a 2 minute of just citra. I will be doing a double dry hop with citra.

This is about the only info I have found on the hop and since I have I bought a pound I have to to use them up.
Jetfire
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:33 am

Re: Citra Hops

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 am

I think I'm going to try brewing up a Wit or Hef using a Citra and Sorachi Ace combo
BN Army :bnarmy:
User avatar
Evan B
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 am
Location: Redmond, WA

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.