Hops On the trellis !

Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:48 pm

Just got the Sterling and Nugget hops on trained on the trellis. A week before I brought them outside the upper leaves were yellowish despite the rest of the plant going ballistic with vegetation. The pH is great. Maybe I over fertilized? Usually I don't even fertilize. This year I started them out indoors n fertilized. Any ideas?
Could be worse. Could be raining.
Liveaxle
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Hops On the trellis !

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:31 am

Where are you located and why are you bringing them inside?
Fertilize with compost, you probably don't need much more than that. If the rest of the plant looks ok, I wouldn't worry too much.
Don Blake
BJCP Grand Master Judge

Fermenting: WitBier
on tap: Cal Common, Funky yeast experiments
User avatar
dontblake
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:03 pm
Location: Erie, CO

Re: Hops On the trellis !

Fri May 01, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm located in Buffalo, NY and I started the ol rhizomes out in-doors for 3 weeks.
Could be worse. Could be raining.
Liveaxle
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Hops On the trellis !

Sat May 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Liveaxle wrote:... the upper leaves were yellowish despite the rest of the plant going ballistic with vegetation.


Yellowish leaves, particularly new ones, could be due to one of two things: Not enough sunlight, or too much water. Or both.

My own hops (outside) are a little yellow in the new leaves due to the spring rains here. Otherwise they're going to town, and I expect it'll fix itself once the dry season sets in.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm
Location: Stonewall, LA (near scenic Highway 171)

Re: Hops On the trellis !

Mon May 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Charlie wrote:
Liveaxle wrote:... the upper leaves were yellowish despite the rest of the plant going ballistic with vegetation.


Yellowish leaves, particularly new ones, could be due to one of two things: Not enough sunlight, or too much water. Or both.

My own hops (outside) are a little yellow in the new leaves due to the spring rains here. Otherwise they're going to town, and I expect it'll fix itself once the dry season sets in.

Charlie
Over watering is a good possibility. They had less sunlight indoors and grew rapidly. I did water every other day towards the end of the 3 week indoor spread. AND it did rain for like 3 days over here in sunny Buffalo, NY. Hadn't watered them in 4 days and it hasn't rained in 2. The first 4 inches down in the soil was pretty wet. Lower after that, moderately damp. It wouldn't cling very much to my fingers. I was told the yellowing could also be due to poor iron or nitrogen. I tested the Nitro n it were good.
Could be worse. Could be raining.
Liveaxle
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Hops On the trellis !

Wed May 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Liveaxle wrote:I was told the yellowing could also be due to poor iron or nitrogen. I tested the Nitro n it were good.


True. They need iron to make chlorophyll.

That's probably not my issue because this loamy clay sand mess I'm on is high in iron. Around here the people bold enough to be on a water well own no white clothes whatsoever (or not for long).

It rained again today :|

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm
Location: Stonewall, LA (near scenic Highway 171)

Return to Homegrown

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.