Got the trellis up.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:13 pm

My cascade hops are looking for something to climb. Fortunately I had a long weekend, I put the ground sockets in Friday, and yesterday I got the trellis up.

I couldn't find any ground anchors besides the ones you use for a dog run, and ended up using some screw things that came with a yard ornament, but they sucked, so today I cut some 20" sections of 1 3/4 pipe (chain link fence top rail), cross drilled them and peaned some appropriately sized nails in the holes, and pounded the puppies in flush with the ground. Believe me, they ain't coming out easy, and now the trellis is tight and humming.

This is an eight day old pic of one of the cascade babies. Today it is much taller and more filled out, and it has a definite viney look to the upper end. I hope to get my twine installed tomorrow and start training the bines.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Re: Got the trellis up.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Good looking trellis there. One possible problem I could see is if you get a strong wind blowing perpendicular to the direction of your anchors. The hop bines will catch a lot of wind.

I will be getting my trellis up this coming weekend. My hops aren't up as high as yours due to the recent cold weather here. I'll get some pictures put up as so as I get it up.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Re: Got the trellis up.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Bugeater wrote:Good looking trellis there. One possible problem I could see is if you get a strong wind blowing perpendicular to the direction of your anchors. The hop bines will catch a lot of wind.

Hey Wayne. Thanks!

This is my first effort, and I'm having to do it from pics and verbal descriptions. I put the thing off until the last moment, and then went with the best info I had.

I got the string up for the Cascade hops today. Here's a pic of the trellis with the string and the new anchors.

I trained one of the Cascade babies to the string. It had made a whole nother turn by the time the sun quit the scene.

The back bed is Nugget, and they're about 10 days behind the Cascade, so no string yet. I am totally fascinated with these things. It's all I can do to resist putting in another bed and another variety.

Charlie (has a hop monkey on his back :-)
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Return to Homegrown