What kind of hop yield should be expected?

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:16 pm

My father and I are planning on growing some hops for the first time this year, and were wondering what kind of output to expect. Wat kind of results have you guys had int he past? I know the first year is likely to be a small one as far as output goes, but I am curious what to expect from a cascade or centennial if anyne out there has grown them in the past.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
Benjamin St. Ange
Corporal
BN Army
BenRod

Re: What kind of hop yield should be expected?

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 am

first year is really crappy. you will get like 10- 20 ounces of wet hops. The second year you wont measure in oz or pounds but 5 gallon buckets. The cascades that i picked on the second year were about 30 gallons of volume(six buckets or so). each bucket probably was about 3-5 pounds of wet hops. it dont know about the third year yet ;)
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:21 am

tavish2 wrote:first year is really crappy. you will get like 10- 20 ounces of wet hops. The second year you wont measure in oz or pounds but 5 gallon buckets. The cascades that i picked on the second year were about 30 gallons of volume(six buckets or so). each bucket probably was about 3-5 pounds of wet hops. it dont know about the third year yet ;)

My first year Cascades did great and yielded about 10 1/2 ounces dry. I can't remember the wet numbers, I think about 3 lbs.

My Fuggles and Goldings got eaten by Japanese beetles and I didn't get anything.
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 am

My first year crop was pretty much non-existent. Only one of four came up at all and that was only about 3" tall. That said, I did plant way late and things were way too wet for the first month. I think the other 3 plants rotted before they ever sprouted. As soon as things thaw and dry up a little, I will do some digging and check on the condition of those. I just received another half dozen rhizomes the other day and will plant them in the next week or so. A guy in our club is moving and will be digging up all of his so he promised me a bunch of big cascade rhizomes.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks, guys. That's helpful. My Dad and I are planning to grow one or two types of hops this year. I was thinking of planting 2 each of Cascade and Centennial. I didn't figure I'd get all that many out of the first year of growing, but I have high hopes for year 2.
Benjamin St. Ange
Corporal
BN Army
BenRod

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:46 pm

It's so variable, it's very hard to predict. If you have good soil, lots of sun, and water a lot but not too much, you'll get a good yield in your second year. If you get any your first year, you are pretty lucky.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Return to Homegrown