Re: Smoking malt?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:39 am

From http://beer-pages.com/glossary/glossary_q_z.htm

RAUCHENFELS STEINBIERE
Rauchenfels brewery, Germany. This brewery revived the concept of "stone-beer", which harked from times prior to the development of metal kettles, when huge baking-hot stones were heated and dropped in to heat up the wort, which in its wooden vessel could not be boiled by direct heat. The result (in the version brewed by Rauchenfels today, anyway) is a smooth, rich-tasting beer with a curious, smoky-caramelised aftertaste. A "stone-beer" has an acquired taste, which the cult-following of Rauchenfels has obviously acquired.

RAUCHENFELS STEINWEIZEN
Rauchenfels brewery, Germany. The wheat beer version of "stone-beer", Steinweisen is predictably sharper taste and is preferred by Rauchenfels cult-following.
Charlie
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm
Location: Stonewall, LA (near scenic Highway 171)

Re: Smoking malt?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 am

I appreciate all the research. I have been looking for rocks to heat up and smoke so I can add them just for smoke and caramelization. Then I would finish the boil as normal and save the rocks in a sealed container and add to secondary.

Grumpy Troll Brewery in Mt. Horeb WI did a similar beer with the rocks in the boil and secondary.
“Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.”

-Al Bundy
User avatar
blipiddybrew
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: Naperville, IL

Re: Smoking malt?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:36 am

I smoked 4 pounds of two-row malt with mesquite. (I live in Texas. Bite me.) I smoked it dry for two hours. I later learned I could have sprayed the grains with a mister bottle and smoked for an hour. Oh well . . .

My first batch came out tasting like bandaids. So I am re brewing it next month to see if it was my sanitation or the mesquite smoke.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
User avatar
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5715
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas

Re: Smoking malt?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 pm

I have some VHS rips of the MJ series I could probably upload somewhere if anyone is interested. I don't think Discovery ever released it on DVD or anything and the VHS is long out of print.

Also have the episode of Thirsty Traveler on Alaska where they talk a little bit and show them smoking grain for the Alaskan Smoked Porter and unrelated the hops episode of Dirty Jobs. Just let me know.
BN Army Sergeant
Chaz
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Juneau, Alaska

Re: Smoking malt?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Chaz wrote:I have some VHS rips of the MJ series I could probably upload somewhere if anyone is interested. I don't think Discovery ever released it on DVD or anything and the VHS is long out of print.

Also have the episode of Thirsty Traveler on Alaska where they talk a little bit and show them smoking grain for the Alaskan Smoked Porter and unrelated the hops episode of Dirty Jobs. Just let me know.


Totally off topic....sorry

Chaz, how you get VHS stuff to digital? I have an old video camera with video of the kids and wife's pregnancies that I really want to keep. We can only watch them on the camera.
Primary: Nada Damn Thing IPA
Secondary: ESB
Kegged: Jack Schittenweiss
User avatar
BigNastyBrew
 
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:50 pm
Location: PHX, AZ

Re: Smoking malt?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:15 pm

BigNastyBrew wrote:Chaz, how you get VHS stuff to digital?


I found a torrent of that stuff. But you can buy "video capture cards" to hook up your camera to your computer to transfer the footage. From there you can make DVDs and such.
BN Army Sergeant
Chaz
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Juneau, Alaska

Re: Smoking malt?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Chaz wrote:
BigNastyBrew wrote:Chaz, how you get VHS stuff to digital?


I found a torrent of that stuff. But you can buy "video capture cards" to hook up your camera to your computer to transfer the footage. From there you can make DVDs and such.

You could also get one of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/digital-conversion/a956/
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
User avatar
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5715
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas

Re: Smoking malt?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
Chaz wrote:
BigNastyBrew wrote:Chaz, how you get VHS stuff to digital?


I found a torrent of that stuff. But you can buy "video capture cards" to hook up your camera to your computer to transfer the footage. From there you can make DVDs and such.

You could also get one of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/digital-conversion/a956/



Fucking sweet! $159!!!! Oh well, I almost have no other choice. The videos are priceless.
Primary: Nada Damn Thing IPA
Secondary: ESB
Kegged: Jack Schittenweiss
User avatar
BigNastyBrew
 
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:50 pm
Location: PHX, AZ

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.